Symmetric vs Asymmetric Spinnakers

Started by Tye Dyed Gary, December 09, 2018, 01:24:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tye Dyed Gary

I would like to see future pursuit races make a change in classes. I would like to see the spinnaker classes, separated by type of spinnaker flown. I am not talking about windward / leewards races. Just around the bay pursuit races.
  Do away with the Sprint / Non-Sprint classes and go to Symmetrical and Asymmetrical spinnakers classes.
  I have sailed for years on many boats with both types spinnakers, and with sprint and non-sprint. There are definite aspects of sail to the two different types of spinnakers.  With only very minor (1 to 3 degrees) point of sail between a sprint vs bow attached asymmetrical sail. But there is a great difference in aspect of sail of a symmetrical spinnaker flown off a pole attached to the mast and a asymmetrical spinnaker.
  I know this would throw some boats without sprints in with the J-105's and 109's that come out for rum races, but would be a more equitable split in the spinnaker classes.
  I realize that both types can be cut full or flat, but the difference in angle of sail between the two types doesn't change. I have pulled the spinnaker pole down to the deck, to tighten the leading edge of a symmetrical spinnaker and still didn't come close to the sailing angle of a bow attached asymmetrical spinnaker.
  I am not proposing a change in PHRF rating, or adding a class, just a change in definition in the two spinnaker classes by type flown during pursuit races.
  The major change that would happen is, some boat owners would have to change from white to pink flags. No matter who wins a given pursuit race, in whatever class, we all share the rum at the party.     
Foredeck Crew Union, Local GBCA
'Shut Up' Just Drive the Boat

WalterH

How about we talk aboout this before you do it.