Wursfest Regatta

Started by Bee, November 08, 2009, 08:44:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bee

I got to do my very first Wurstfest on a boat --- Vic Forsyth's good old Aftershock. In my former life I managed to play a million polkas at the Wursfest, eat several hundred sausages (OK maybe a few more), and of course drink my share of Beer, but I never even considered the regatta as part of the fun.

Except for the rain on Sunday and occassional light to very light winds, this was lake sailing at its best.  Smooth deep water and on Saturday, beautiful clear skies. Excellent crew work with a lot of gentle ribbing.

There were a number of GBCA'ers there and several good friends and crew.  I was really impressed with the race set up.  They had three lines with one offset marks. They ran W/L and triangles for a variety of big and small boats.  OD lines included Vipers, Cat 22's, J22's, and J24's.  The regatta also included PHRF spinn and non-spin.

Those of you with the capability to go just might consider joining the fun in the future.

Jonsey

I have to second Bee's coments about wurstfest.  Good racing..  perfect camping, great food and a lot of beer!  We pitch our tent along on the nice grass lawn approx. 50 yards from the club

LCYC put on a good event this year. 

Bee

Now if they could just do something about that steep hill.

Just joking.

ChrisK

Not to talk about things that have already happened, but I love it up there.

Fun regatta. Beautiful water, camping at the club, great volunteers, cool people, minimal boat traffic in November.
Fleet sizes down this year (like everywhere) but OD line had J22 (5 boats), J24 (5), Viper 640 (5), Catalina 22 (9)
Cat line had a mix of several F27-28s, A-cats, F-18s, Nelda Rey. PHRF had about a dozen boats of various shapes and sizes.

Next year is the 50 year anniversary of Wurstfest!

For 2010 LCYC hosts the Wurstfest Regatta: board/centerboard boats 10/29-30/2010, Keel/cat boats 11/05-06/2010

About the only negatives are the challenging boat ramp and they no longer run the courtsey 'runk bus from LCYC to Wurstfest!!
:'(
Bring back the bus!!
Past Commodore, 2010

Keith

I second the comments made above, I had a fantastic time.

Only problem was the race committee did not get their calculations right and incorrectly awarded first place to Aftershock.  It was difficult to get information from the RC and it took until now for them to realize what happened.  That is to bad when the owner of my boat drive 5 hours to participate and did not receive his plaudits at the awards ceremony. 

Bee

A BUS to New Barunfels and the Wursfest!  Wunderbar! I did not know that. Except for the fact that I basically passed out around 8:30 in the evening I think bringing back the bus would be super.  I promise to drag my accordion along next year and use it to torture everyone on the water. You all know how far that devil instrument will carry on the water don't you?  If I lose 50 pounds I can get back into my lederhosen and then everyone will all suffer further consequences.   That should be enough to get everyone to make the trip to the fest itself.

Charles

Poke me in the eye with a sharp stick!
Moi Verstehe Nada,
Char-les