Yacht Racing Topics to Kick Off the 2010 Season

Started by budster, December 17, 2009, 03:51:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

budster

Last Wednesday, Gerard Coleman turned us on to the strategies and tactics involved in team racing. Team Racing just sounds like a whole lotta fun!

Gerard kept the eyebrows raised in the audience as he described the 'Pass-Back' and the 'Mark Trap' manuevers used to move opponents behind your team members in order to create winning combinations for your team's victory.

Response to Gerard's presentation has been good, and because he did not have enough time to present his entire program, he has graciously agreed to come back and present the remaining material on March 3rd. If you missed it the first time, perhaps you might consider hearing about a new and refreshing way to squeeze more fun out of your racing skills!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...and here are some details on the updated schedule for 'Topics' for the foreseeable future...

Next week, Feb 3rd, various common scenarios encountered on the race course and the rules that apply will be addressed, as John Butler presents 'The Racing Rules of Sailing, Part 1'...

On Feb 10, John will continue with 'The Racing Rules of Sailing, Part 2'. All those with any questions about the rules should attend... (AHEM! ...oh, sorry...i didn't mean for that to get in there!...)

On Feb 17, there will be a presentation on the basic principals of Aerodynamics. The coverage will not be as precise as some scientists might require, but then, most do not want to endure the math...sailors just need to know things like:

• The importance of chord length.
  • The importance of twist.
  • How does changing the position of maximum draft affect the lift and drag of an airfoil?
  • What is laminar flow and turbulent flow?
  • What is a laminar bubble, why does it form, and what does it do to performance?
  • And what on earth is a Reynold's number, and why do I need to pollute my brain with knowing that?

On Feb 24, the knowledge learned in the 'Aerodynamics' Topic will be applied in 'Shape Sails for Speed and Control'...

Then on Mar 3rd, Gerard comes back with his second part to Team Racing...

On March 10th, just back from the MEXORC, Joe Taylor is going to share his knowledge, tips, tricks, secrets, and skills for being a successful foredeck crew...

March 17th is Spring Break, and we currently have no Topic planned. That does not mean we can't have one though. If you have any thoughts, please share!

and by the way... There will be a presentation at HYC on February 13 entitled "Eliminating Loss Around the Race Course". Anyone wanting to attend should give me a call, and I'll create a Guest List for the Guard Shack.

two eight one four six eight six nine oh nine!

Big John

The issue is the application of rule 18 between different size boats.  The zone is defined by the nearer boat, which means that the zone can change in size suddenly and significantly.  THis diagram might help.
If the J22 is closer, then it is not in the zone at 80 feet and rule 18 does not apply.  When the J122 passes and becomes nearer, then the zone is ~122 feet and the J22 is subject to rule 18, despite not being in its 3 BL circle yet.

Big John

Join us Wednesday night for more rousing discussion of the application of the Racing Rules of Sailing on the water.  We will discuss Mark roundings and obstructions in addition to finishing of the rules of part 2.

Knowledge of the rules is Power.
J

Wednesday night
Club Classic
bar open at 6 PM
discussion starts at 6:30

budster

Here's a simple reminder to everyone that there is a presentation at HYC this Saturday at 1:00 pm:

?Eliminating Loss Around the Race Course?

Description:  Reaching for the next level after the basic yacht racing skills are acquired. Eliminating detrimental behavior and indecision in common situations, and acquiring new habits to shave time off your performance.

Saturday, February 13, 2010

Houston Yacht Club

Commodore?s Room

1:00 pm ? 3:00 pm

Speaker: Buddy Brown

ChrisK

In case you missed this past Wednesday, here's a link on the Racing Rules of Sailing Presentation by John Butler.  Thanks John for putting this together.

Next Wednesday (2/17) will be another excellent topic: Aerodynamics 
You'll be able to put that knowledge to very good use during the upcoming GBCA Frostbite Regatta February 20-21st 
Past Commodore, 2010

AndyH

Great handout from FEB10 talk.  Tnx.
--Andy Howard
s/v Yippee HiHo

ChrisK

*bump*

Reminder: Tonight's topic is near and dear to NASA: "Aerodynamics"
Doors open at 6pm, Classic Cafe
Past Commodore, 2010

B_K

Great job Buddy! 

Now that I have all this "stuff" in my head; it will be interesting to see if I can turn it into wisdom.  I think that is supposed to happen next Wed at the 2nd half "Shaping Sails for Speed and Control", right?  If you haven't been to any of these seminars, I highly encourage you to make this next one.

Brant

ChrisK

A reminder of tonights topic:

'Shape Sails for Speed and Control'
Past Commodore, 2010

budster

Last night, we watched the second race of the America's Cup and covered "Shape Sails for Speed and Control". I've attached the Powerpoint slides for the topic...

budster

The book referred to in the last two Topics:

Theory of Wing Sections: Including a Summary of Airfoil Data (Dover Books on Physics) by Ira H. Abbott and A. E. von Doenhoff

B_K

Another great job Buddy!  It's always fun to have and witness those "Ah Ha!" moments.

Brant

AndyH

Would you be able to resave as an older version of PPT [say, 2003, with .PPT extension] and repost.  I can't read the .PPTX extension.  Tnx.

--- Andy Howard

Quote from: budster on February 25, 2010, 07:22:22 AM
Last night, we watched the second race of the America's Cup and covered "Shape Sails for Speed and Control". I've attached the Powerpoint slides for the topic...

budster

Andy,

I've saved the presentation as Powerpoint 97 - 2003. Unfortunately, the file size limit is exceeded whe I try to attach it to a response.

I'll contact Kevin Bednar and see if there is something we can do...

Buddy

ChrisK

*Bump*

3/3/10 Topic: Team Racing, Part 2

Club Classic
bar opens at 6 PM
discussion starts at 6:30

Then next week: "The Art of Foredeck"

I don't know about you, but I'm counting the days until Daylight Savings Time kicks in and we get an extra hour of sun to go play in some of the nicest weather of the year.  DST begins March 14th.
Past Commodore, 2010