Yacht Racing Topics to Kick Off the 2010 Season

Started by budster, December 17, 2009, 03:51:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

budster

Yacht Racing Topics to Kick Off  the 2010 Season

The Clear Lake Racing Association will host a series of Yacht Racing Topics at the Club Classic in Seabrook. This sharing of information will occur every Wednesday until the series ends. The currently scheduled topics are listed below, although more topics may be added.

Topics include:

• Jan. 6          Starting Techniques                      Presenter:       Buddy Brown, CLRA

• Jan. 13         Yacht Racing Tactics                    Presenter:      Jay Lutz, Yachtsman

• Jan 20          Small Scale Weather Effects           Presenter:      Brian Kyle, Nat. Weather Svc

• Jan. 27         Team Racing                                Presenter:      Gerard Coleman, TAMUG

• Feb. 3          Racing Rules of Sailing                   Presenter:      John Butler, CLRA

• Feb. 10        Sail Shape for Speed                     Presenter        Buddy Brown, CLRA

Let?s get the year started with a dose of yachting in the warmth and comfort of the Club Classic! The club will be closed to the public, but open for sailors attending the topics.

All topics begin at 6:30 pm   Bar open at 6:00   

More information at www.clearlakeracing.com

MaryM

What a great idea buddy!  Thanks for putting this together - just when I though my liver was safe on Wednesday's.

ChrisK

Great idea! Great speakers.

Speaking of the racing rules, now is a great time to pick up a copy of the 2009-2012 edition.

Dave Perry's book pretty much covers it. A 'must have' if you're a racer.

http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Racing-Rules-Sailing-2009-2012/dp/0979467764
Past Commodore, 2010

Charles

I'll be there. Got Dave's book in route.
Merry Christmas everyone.
Charles
Moi Verstehe Nada,
Char-les

STuma

Thanks Chris... maybe I will ask for one for Christmas... I'm a tad bit rusty on the new rules...
cheers...
Scott

jayhefty

speaking of rules--sailing world magazine published some (i think it has been some long work shifts) rare intra cycle changes to part two of the rules. FYI

ChrisK

*bump*

A reminder that this speaker series starts this week, Jan 6th.
Your chance to hear it from the experts.

No matter what kind of sailboat racing you do, this is an excellent opportunity if you want to 'up' your sailing game a notch or two
Past Commodore, 2010

B_K

Nice Job Buddy!

If you weren't there, you missed a great presentation.   We could have squeezed a few more of you in, but there was a good crowd in attendance.  I'm looking forward to next week's lesson.  Mark your calendar for next wednesday and I'll see you there. 

Thanks again Buddy.

Brant

Bob H

Kudos to Buddy for a good seminar, and Thanks for By Baldridge for the location, and his insights, too!

Is it April yet?

ChrisK

There were a good 50 people in attendence with room for more.
Great turnout
A big thanks to Buddy for putting this together and thanks to By and Farley too.

Link to the handout in case you missed it

Looking forward to learning all the tactical secrets next week with Jay Lutz
Past Commodore, 2010

B Sailing/Alan Bates

Great hand out link--thanks for posting.

Thanks Buddy for organizing these topics and speakers, it is a great service to the sailing community.
Alan Bates/B Sailing-281-212-7348
Learn to sail and race J/Boats in annual membership sailing club. Unlimited sailing on "your' own boat.

ChrisK

A reminder that the CLRA speaker series continues tonight at CLub Classic 6:30
"Yacht Racing Tactics" with Jay Lutz
Past Commodore, 2010

budster

Jay Lutz provided an entertaining and informative talk last night. Some of the subjects he touched on:

• How to use a 'blocker' on an upwind leg.
  • When to leebow, and when not to.
  • How and when to duck someone.
  • How to know if someone is affecting your wind.
  • How to use the last minute port approach at the weather mark...and how not to.
  • How to pass someone on the downwind leg ( 3 techniques ).
  • The significance of gusts in sprit boats downwind.

...and there were lots of thoughts on pre-race preparation, strategy, anticipation, and even simple things, like the 'good' reasons to tack.

Words from a highly accomplished sailor with a number of World, North American, and National Championships to his credit. There was something for everyone... Newbies, Middies, and Old Salts alike.

Thanks Jay, for this contribution to the local sailing scene....

Next Wednesday, Brian Kyle, from the National Weather Service office in League City will speak on 'Small Scale Weather Effects'.

6:30 pm at the Club Classic

Charles

Yes, Thanks very much Jay. Very informative. Good luck at Key West.
Charles
Moi Verstehe Nada,
Char-les