Non-Spinnaker/Cruising Class Course Poll

Started by ChrisK, January 08, 2010, 10:46:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

For PHRF non-spin/cruising class: What racing course do you prefer?

Fixed Marks (Rigs)
17 (50%)
'Long' Windward/Leeward (W/L)
0 (0%)
Mix: W/L one day, Fixed the next
6 (17.6%)
'Short' Windward/Leeward (W/L): same as spinnaker
9 (26.5%)
Race? That's a 4-letter word!
2 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 34

ChrisK

Test driving this nifty poll feature..so here goes:

For the PHRF non-spin and the cruising class, what kind of course do you prefer the most on a racing weekend (aka. the Spring, Frostbite, Shoe Regatta, etc)
Past Commodore, 2010

ChrisK

Past Commodore, 2010

Terry Young

Keep it the shortest course so if the wind is lite we can finish( many cruisers are heavy and much slower than the J boats and other racers). Or get to the party sooner! I liked the earlyer start that we had for the Rum races. You guys are doing a great job.

AndyH

Fixed marks are good.  They are hard enough to find without having "moving" marks!

JayZ

Long Random Course with some windward work mixed in.
Jay Zittrer
s/v BANJO GIRL

BobMann

Making best use of the very variable wind conditions for a fixed-mark course is challenge enough, in my opinion, and reversing the direction keeps it from being too repetative. There would also be a demand for more personnel involvement, along with boats, to have winward/leeward races. So I vote for Keeping It Simple, and since its not broken, ...

Chris P

PHRF/non-spin: I vote short W/L.
CP
S/V Invictus

jayhefty

Voted lets race.  The diverse opinions prove that having a mixture of race formats keeps interest up. i don't think it necessarily means every format on every race.  The more courses means more staff to volunteer and less racers on the course. jmho

George E Cushing

The poll question sounds more like a question about overall preference versus specific race weekends that offer W/L racing. I like the Rum and Icicle Series, and enjoy the format. I also like W/L when it is offered. It might help to use the language in the first post as the actual poll question and start over.

"For the PHRF non-spin and the cruising class, what kind of course do you prefer the most on a racing weekend (aka. the Spring, Frostbite, Shoe Regatta, etc)"

STuma

Even as a Spin racer, I prefer the fixed marks... I think the short W/L courses should be set aside for one-design, or larger, races... The mark may not always be square, but that does not always matter; it brings navigation with tactics with boat handling... also, there would be very little reason to post-pone because of erratic winds...

Maybe a blend, as been said and done; Distance triangles and W/L... I think it is great how we can accomodate the multitude of fleets wanting to participate...

cheers...
Scott
cheers...
Scott

Scoundrel

captROB

OK so there are 32 votes as of my vote this morning for a mix.  Where are the other 28 boats registered for the race???  Come on out there, if your going to vote, then come out to race.  If your not going to race, please don't vote.

JayZ

Quote from: captROB on February 15, 2010, 07:51:52 AM
OK so there are 32 votes as of my vote this morning for a mix.  Where are the other 28 boats registered for the race???  Come on out there, if your going to vote, then come out to race.  If your not going to race, please don't vote.

What?  I hope you are kidding.

Like George mentioned this doesn't seem to be a pole about a specific regatta nor is it a plan to change the rum races.  I think Chris was simply looking for general input on the cruising fleets course preference.

Jay Zittrer
s/v BANJO GIRL