AC 33

Started by STuma, February 08, 2010, 07:23:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bee

Quote from: Jonsey on February 12, 2010, 04:57:36 PM
+1 Bee.  I wonder what we'll see in another 10 - 20 years.... 100' foiling tri?

Hmm.  Supposed we could actually build a digital bird's wing.  We could fold it up against the hull, furl it when necessary and control every aspect of the shape.  That would definitely be a hoot.

Bee

Absolutely spectacular.  Never thought I would enjoy WATCHING two $100,000,000 machines duel to the finish, but I did.  Too bad the server kept crashing.  That was a bit frustrating.

STuma

It was quite amazing watching... when you look at and evaluate the technology used on these boats versus the S&S cat; an amazing difference... But I think Jeff is right, foilers are next... biggest problem with speed is hitting junk in the water... that would stink...
cheers...
Scott

STuma

To keep this going:

What kind of venue and boats do ya'll want to see in then next AC?

I think X-40's with all countries racing at once, fleet racing... hold 15-17 races...
cheers...
Scott

Bee

I really would like to see the race in anything that's fast.  Multis are fine, Monos are fine so long as they minimally plane downwind.  I think wings are the right way to go as well.

I have mixed feelings about keeping the boats identical.  On the one hand you probably would see who the best sailors were, but on the other the AC always had something to do with designing something better than your competitor.  I guess I would go with some kind of box-style rule that put limits on size and number of hulls but outside of that let the design guys have at it.

Jonsey

An open box-rule is the way to go..   keep pushing technology forward in the sport. 

I also agee with you Tuma - big fleet racing on SF bay in some extreme boats by the best sailors in the world (with these budgets) would be a crazy spectator sport.  Imagine the carnage.

Bee

Has anyone found a place to download the races?  Would like to have this on my computer/TV hookup.

Christopher

I don't see racing these big multi's on SF bay for the cup.  They move to fast and could be across the bay in a matter of minutes.  To prevent collisions, or fouls with shipping, teams would be calling for the bay to be closed to shipping during the trials and cup race.  Closing a major shipping port is not likely to happen.  (My 2 cents.)

Smaller x40 type multi's probably.

Faster/fastest technologically should draw more spectators and interest to the sport.
Mahalo nui loa

Evan

Quote from: Bee on February 16, 2010, 08:28:10 PM
Has anyone found a place to download the races?  Would like to have this on my computer/TV hookup.

Both races can be seen on espn360. I heard that depending on who you internet provider is you may or may not be able to use 360, but its there if you can get it. You might also check the BMWO site as I am sure they will want to show it again. Here is the 360 link:

http://espn.go.com/broadband/espn360/channels?channel=3578779&

Also, from an earlier post, Alinghy waited to clear their start box penalty because in match racing if they drew a penalty on BMWO at some point later in the race (if you want to call what they did a race) then the penalty offsets and no one has to do turns. For instance if they were coming in to the finish close Alinghi would try to force a penalty on BMWO then it becomes a race to the finish with no turns necessary. Cool tactics, but it didn't really work here since the boats were so unevenly matched.

STuma

I like your  attitude Bee... If ya'll can, watch some of the X-40 races... quite impressive and extremly tight quarters... I saw something about X-90's as a prospect... I think the limit needs to be reconsidered...  I agree that one-design is a true test of the sailor, but open rules push technology and we all benefit from that... sailing has always been about the newest technology, even within the tightest class rules...
cheers...
Scott