AC 33

Started by STuma, February 08, 2010, 07:23:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

STuma

ok... personally, I think multis are great for the America's Cup, but they need to be able to handle 20-25 knots of wind... I am also a fan of fleet racing for a spectator point of view; have all countries qualified race in 10-15 races...

What do ya'll think?

cheers...
Scott
cheers...
Scott

ChrisA

I think I'm never getting those four hours back.

ChrisK

Races cancelled today no wind at the start. Next race Wednesday. Then Friday.  I couldn't find a reschedule date for today.

I understand there are multiple internet broadcasts, but to really do the event justice, these spectacular machines need to be seen in High-Def.  

Any local/Houston cable/sat stations covering the races?  
Oh wait, college basketball is much more important.  >:(

Versus? Universal Sports? ESPN2,3,4 BBC?, Australia ONE, EuroSport?  The coverage doesn't even have to be english, maybe V-Me 8.2?

The AC event showcases our sport.  How unfortunate the US mainstream media is not covering even a 30 minute summary of the action.  

If someone has the technology, maybe Wednesday we can plug in a laptop, watch at The Club Classic after the speaker series...?
Past Commodore, 2010

ChrisA

Not quite HD, but I plugged my laptop into the TV and it looked pretty good.

jayhefty

so apparently we are going to have a drag race. race cancelled for today also ???

ChrisK

It's on! To see these boats in action....wow!

http://www.americascup.com/en/regate/regarder-la-course/show.html

To give you a point of reference, the Kemah bridge would have to be three times taller to have BMW/Oracle USA17 pass under it.
Past Commodore, 2010

Christopher

Race 1 goes to BOR-USA17, by nearly 3 miles and 15:28 in time.
Next race on Sunday.
Mahalo nui loa

STuma

Started watching the recap... couple of questions:  why has Alighini waited so long to clear penalty?   why is the course 2 legs?  Shouldn't a race have at least 3 legs, incorporate a couple of roundings?
cheers...
Scott

Rob

Scott, for an answer re: course, go to:
http://www.americascup.com/en/contexte/33acup/33-americas-cup-6-712

I think they just have to do their penance before the end of the race.

Christopher

In match racing, penalty turns are not required to be taken "as soon as possible" but anytime before crossing the finish line, unless directed to do so by an umpire.  A 270 turn vs the 360 or 720 in flleet racing.

Race 2 on Sunday will be a triangle course of a beat leg and two reaching legs.
Race 3 (if needed) will be a W/L course similar to Race 1.
Mahalo nui loa

mtyer

If they sail Sunday, let the party in SanFran begin.

Two reaching legs with that bigA Tri and they will annihilate the little cat...

Bee

For me this was truly a spectacular event. However, after watching the replay a couple of times, these boats do not seem to be all that far apart in speed.  It does appear that the tri is better upwind, but after USA 17 pushed ahead to around 3500 meters, the gap closed in Alinghi's favor.  I suspect the next race may be a lot closer, but I sure hope not.

Nice to have been around to see this bit of technology.

Jonsey

+1 Bee.  I wonder what we'll see in another 10 - 20 years.... 100' foiling tri?

aj

i watched the race from bmwo web site.  good coverage.  i thought bmwo was consistently 2-5 kts faster both up & downwind.  backed off once it was apparent they had no competition.  no sense in breaking the boat

Bee

Quote from: aj on February 12, 2010, 06:06:54 PM
i watched the race from bmwo web site.  good coverage.  i thought bmwo was consistently 2-5 kts faster both up & downwind.  backed off once it was apparent they had no competition.  no sense in breaking the boat

Yeah, I thought the same thing for a while and I hope that's what they were doing.  I would guess that the instrumentation on board pretty much told them they could dive deep and keep Alinghi from gaining ground then come back up and blow them away anytime it was required.

Particularly interesting was the fact that they were flying two hulls pretty much even when Alinghi could not.  That's certainly indicative of speed.

Nevertheless, there is always the chance that Ernesto has some kind of Ace up his sleeve.

Hope not.