Test Drive Day - Austin Yacht Club

Started by Jonsey, April 08, 2010, 02:49:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaryM

Jeff - the dock at the Club Classic is a great place for boat demo - you can jump right out in Clear Lake and sail there.  This would be perfect for the sport boats, we have the connections! 

Bee

But at 6.5 feet I don't think my 105 could do much more then get in and out --- and that might be a issue all by itself.

Jonsey

True Mary but like Bee said, couldn't get the big boats in there. 

IMHO, it would be important to the event to get a range of boats out for the demo..

So, you going to organize this thing?  ;-) 

MaryM

Moi?  Get boomerang to work on the J's and big boats and I will help you with the sport boats - Viper, M20, etc.  I still think you will have a better turnout for the SBs if we run them separately - two completely different type of boats and interested people.

Jonsey

Need someone to get out to HYC and coordinate with those guys. 

See - one reason i think it would be better to have them all together is to make it convenient to catch a ride on each.   You might have someone who thinks a J80 would be a cool ride - jump on a sportboat and decide he / she likes it better.  On the same token, might have someone who thinks they want a sportboat the J80's there.. they take a ride and love having a bit of interior.     

I believe one reason people stop sailing their boats is because they made a rash purchase decision and ended up not liking the boat for one reason or another. 

And who know's - might have a few that think the best thing to do is to buy one of each!  :-) 

STuma

I think the key question we need to ask is what crowd are we aiming at?  I think HYC has the best in/out facility, but KBM has the best exposure...  KBM would get a lot of "joy riders" that have no interest in a boat, but with that said, it may spark an interest in some...  also need to think about incorporating the dingies, Vanguards for example, to get them out... We need to get with Kolius and Steve to get the M-uglies out also.. have a variety of boats lined up on the "easteren" floating dock...

cheers...
Scott
cheers...
Scott

jayhefty

cool brainstorming. my 2 cents...... how about getting local learn to sail firms to handle novice/know nothing joyriders, It is exposure for their programs and you never know they may still buy a boat eventually. A short class would deter the  beast riders that don't want to pay for the beast. It might give some new depth to the local crew base.

Jonsey

Looks like KO has come through with a WETA or two for this weekends Test Drive Day. 

I understand someone put posters in all the fitness centers around town.   Expected attendance is so high that Jboats hustled up a 105, at least one more J80..  we'll have two vipers on the water with another on stand-by.

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=107000   updated flyer here (look for the PDF toward the bottom of the page)

Bee

I just posted a comment relative to GBCA's Basic Sailboat Racing Seminar.  Can we make that into the equivalent of Austin's test drive day?  I bet we can.

Where is Kelly when you need him? --- Just joking Chris.

ChrisK

Here's the flyer for Austin Test Drive Day this weekend (attached)
Past Commodore, 2010

Bee

We need one of those for the GBCA day.

Jonsey

Ask and you shall receive - all we need to know are details + what boats are going to be there.  I'll get a picture of each put on the flyer. 

ChrisK

GBCA Basic Sailboat Racing Seminar is a little bit different concept than a Test Drive type event.

Both are worthy events GBCA would like to encourage

With the Basic Racing seminar, GBCA is targeting those who might be on the fence or intimidated about racing.
It's more in the spirit of "run what you brung" and has worked well the past 2 years.  Most of us got into sailing (and racing) by knowing someone with a boat, own or crewed on a boat that wanted to give this racing thing a try or simply wanted to improve boat handling/crew skills so cruising is safer and more fun.  GBCA encourages all of those endeavours.

The "Test Drive" is geared more to those looking to upgrade and those curious about the sport.  Of course, GBCA encourages an event like that also.

As for the actual execution of a Test Drive event, HYC is the best facility to do a J109, J105, J80, Viper, Melgi, J24, J22  
The big draw (excuse the pun) is HYC is deep enough for >=J80 series. A bonus of less traffic (two tacks to the bay). Plus you can 'turn over' crews in short order and not spend alot of time motoring around, dealing with Rodney Powerboat and waving at the Kemah tourists.

In order for this to work, Jonsey, Boomerang, KO, HSH, Sea Lake and the various OD fleets need to get together and represent, talk directly to HYC.

OF COURSE, GBCA can help get the word out and promote, but at the end of the day, it is still HYC's facility.

A similar story for a smaller boat/scaled Test Drive, say J24 on down.
In that case, Club Classic/or Lakewood is ideal due to depth and location.
The success of the demo KO did at Classic with the Melges 20 a few years ago comes to mind.  
Again, it would take cooperation between the Classic (or LYC) and the boat parties involved.

(Repeat) GBCA supports a Test Drive style event and will do our best to get the word out locally.  
We just don't have the most ideal boat launching facility in the area.

We can promise you this: GBCA can teach you just enough to be dangerous, and put you in a real sailboat race on your boat (or someone else's) the same day.  You'll either love it or run away scared.

Look for more details soon: GBCA's Intro To Sailboat Racing, coming May 29th.
Past Commodore, 2010

Jonsey

Do we know any HYC members that can help sponsor this thing?   

Jonsey

Fellow sailors - we have GOT to get this going down on the bay. 

This event was perfect - i left the dock with my first two sailors around 10:00 and didn't stop taking people on rides until after 4!  The first couple i took out were from the S.F. bay area, had lived in Austin for a little over a year and didn't know there was much sailing in the area - funny I was hesitant to let them drive because it turned out they use to race a 49er!  We had at least 6 people in the same situation, one couple came from an hour away.

The event is spreading, already plans are being made to hold an event at DCYC in Dallas - S.A. give it some love on the front page.. + check out the tread here.. http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=107000&st=25&p=2825108&#entry2825108