GBCA Basic Sailboat Racing Seminar May 29th

Started by Kevin Box, April 20, 2010, 10:00:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin Box

Registration is available online at:http://www.regattanetwork.com/clubs/gbca.html

Starts at 0900 at the GBCA office.  Discussion of the Racing Rules of Sailing, Race Committee Actions and Basic Strategy.  Lunch, Q&A and then it's off to sail in 2010 Rum Race #1.

We will assign an experienced racer to help new skippers get their boat around the course and place new crew on race boats.  

thomas

I saw that not many people signed up for the racing seminar, and none of them are skippers.  That sucks cause that means there'll be less people I can bum a ride from. Always thinking of myself.  I'm wondering if anyone has gone around to the bulletin boards at all the local yacht clubs and marinas and tacked up a poster/notice so that sailboaters can see them and get the word out.  If there are funds available, it would be worth it to print notices that stand out so that people see them and wonder WTF, and go check the notice out. If the GBCA got the notices out now, early, then it would surely increase the number of folks who see them, and maybe get a few more boat owners out racing in the GBCA events. Seems like time/money well spent.

ChrisK

Never fear, the sign-up for this was just posted yesterday.  The event is a good month away so there will be more takers as word/promotional materials get out.  We have several skippers who will be mentoring and just not listed...

13 people have expressed an interest on Facebook
and double the number of "maybes". Not bad for one day.
Past Commodore, 2010

BJSailor

Time to sign-up folks!

http://www.regattanetwork.com/clubs/gbca.html

The presentations start at 9:00 and will cover some of the basics of sailboat racing:
-  Anatomy of a sailboat race
-  Basic Rules
-  Starting and Race Committee process (flags and stuff)
-  Getting around the course (strategy and tactics)

The presentation should run through lunch and we'll have a Q&A at the end.  Afterward, we'll all adjourn and head out to sail in the first Rum Race of the 2010 season.

Here's a question for everyone - What topics would you like to see covered?  I'll try and include as many requests as I can work in.
There are 10 types of people in this world - those that understand Binary, and those that don't.

tsampsel

Gentlemen,

A friend of mine is very interested in sailing but knows next to nothing about it.  I mentioned this seminar but it appears it's geared more toward those that have a basic knowledge of sailing and might want to race.  Will he learn anything or will he be scared off by the terminology?

Thanks

Kevin Box

As you stated, he?s your friend.  You should be in a position to advise him on such matters, or maybe take him sailing.

The class is for beginning racers as the name implies.  Worst case: he starts the class, freaks and bolts for the door.  Knowing that pizza is coming for lunch, I imagine the average person will fight through the fear, get a prize and some pizza, thus salvaging their 10 bucks.  And then, maybe race.  And then party afterward, which is free.

Best case:  Well, I guess that's why we try to find new racers.  He could go as far as his inclination takes him.  The speaker is a very interesting person.  I recommend it.  You can?t win if you don?t play?

Christopher

Quote from: BJSailor on May 09, 2010, 03:37:41 PM

Here's a question for everyone - What topics would you like to see covered?  I'll try and include as many requests as I can work in.

For the snacticians:
What's the proper proportion of rum or beer to boat size or crew number?   ;D
Does the cooler of beer figure into the crew weight on OD boats?    :D
When's the best time to start drinking?   ::)
When's the best time to stop?   :o
Mahalo nui loa

tsampsel

Thanks Kevin,

He was asking me about sailing today and I plan on taking him out but since I knew about this I figured he couldn't beat the price... ;D
And he might learn something...But I didn't know how basic the seminar would be.  You know, sheet vs. halyard, etc.  I guess that would be up to me unless he wants to do an ASA class. 

Charles

Quote from: Christopher on May 22, 2010, 12:22:05 AM

For the snacticians:

1.  One beer/1 oz. of rum (rounded up) for every 2 meters of boat length per crewmember: 
2.  It should figure in crew weight, since it will be either in the cooler or in the crew at some point in the race.
3.  When you wake up.
4.  When you pass out.

Moi Verstehe Nada,
Char-les

Bee

Quote from: Charles on May 22, 2010, 09:04:31 AM
Quote from: Christopher on May 22, 2010, 12:22:05 AM

For the snacticians:

1.  One beer/1 oz. of rum (rounded up) for every 2 meters of boat length per crewmember: 
2.  It should figure in crew weight, since it will be either in the cooler or in the crew at some point in the race.
3.  When you wake up.
4.  When you pass out.

Oh come on.

There is no maximum, only a minimum.  The minimum is that amount of beer that is gone before docking.
Beer does not weigh anything when it goes through your bladder.  Its mostly water at that point and can be safely released overboard.
If your boat is behind the 146 bridge you must drink before you pass under it.  If your boat is at Kemah Harbor Marina you must begin when arriving at the boat at dock time.
You stop when you can no longer drink more.