GBCA Can Recycle Program

Started by ChrisK, April 22, 2010, 04:47:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrisK

In honor of Earth Day, GBCA just got a little greener today. Introducing the GBCA Can Recycle program. You now have the option to recycle your cans after racing. Just bring them to the clubhouse and put them in this super snazzy bin (pictured).
Thanks goes to Sailchick (Jody Henry) for the Earth friendly idea!
Past Commodore, 2010

Rob

UHhhhhh..........................How big is that can? Do you have more than one? Good thought though!
And I wore a green shirt today. Some E agency ought to write up those Icelanders for all that polution.

Sailchick

GBCA Past Past Commodore 2013

Sailchick

For those of you who don't think about recycling your beer cans off the boat, some facts:

More than 50 percent of the aluminum cans produced is recycled.

A used aluminum can is recycled and back on the grocery shelf as a new can in as little as 60 days.

Every minute, an average of 113,204 aluminum cans are recycled.   (with GBCA recycling - we could double that number!  :) )

Today it is cheaper, faster and more energy-efficient to recycle aluminum than ever before. The aluminum can is 100 percent recyclable and can be recycled indefinitely. The can remains the most recyclable of all materials.

While we work with the shipyards to implement recycling, this is the best offer to start to make efforts to recycle all of our beer cans.  I realize it's inconvenient and carrying your cans to GBCA could get messy but trust me, I've smelled some of your shoes after a day of racing -- this is not THAT bad.

Please consider recycling yoru aluminum at GBCA.  It is a small effort to try to make our club and our sport (which is already pretty green by the way) just a little greener.

Happy Earth Day!

Bee

Great idea Jody.  I think Stinger can contribute a considerable number of cans to the effort all by herself.

thomas

Sunday after the Shoe I had a sack with some cans and was wondering where the GBCA recycle bin is located? If you'll tell me, I'll take time there the next time. When you say the club house, is that the Lakewood Clubhouse?

Christopher

The GBCA Lounge/Office at Watergate.
Mahalo nui loa

Sailchick

We'll start this weekend with the rum race.  Trash bags for your cans will be available at the clubhouse before the race.  Fill them with CANS ONLY and bring them back to the fancy new bin after racing.

Let's be greener!

STuma

can we add 1 point/can to our rating for cans donated?
cheers...
Scott

Eric713

Bobby Mac

Recycling aluminum off a boat in salt water appears to be somewhat helpful - That is if the cans get to the recycling center.  If they are thrown away to end up in a landfill, it would be much "GREENER" to through them into the salt water and let them disintegrate. 

Now what is going on with the plastic water bottles that will be coming around on our boats as the heat rises?

Bobby Mac

Now there are clothing use for aluminum can.  See photo . . . if I can figure out how to attach it.

Bobby Mac

I was looking for an aluminum can bikini (and not bothering to check my lack of typing skills) but have not found any yet.  Does anyone have such a photo?  Does anyone think GBCA needs to sponsor an Aluminum can Bikini / Bathing suit contest?  Made from GBCA racing event cans.  Recycled after the contest.  Maybe a competition on the water with aluminum can sailboats made from cans from GBCA racing events or otherwise (some version of cloth sails) (will need to be a quick race before the cans start oxidizing) - boat needs to last 100 yards afloat.  All cans recycled.

El Diablo

Quoteit would be much "GREENER" to through them into the salt water and let them disintegrate.

Here?s a great experiment to try at home for science fans of all ages.  Get you a gallon pickle jar full of water and put in a half cup of salt.  That will be a very close approximation of your average seawater.  Take an aluminum beverage can and put it in.  Be sure to rip it or slash some holes in it so that any coating/graphics don?t slow the electrolytic action and the seawater can go straight to work.  The typical wisdom among ?offshore recyclers? is that the can will be dissolved in three days.   See how your home experiment goes and report the number of days it took your experimental ?can overboard? to dissolve.  Post your results!
?Force shites upon Reason's Back.?
-Ben Franklin

Sailchick

I picked up the cans this afternoon.  It was super full so thanks everyone for bringing your cans!!  Keep up the good work!