Looking for a deal on a trailer sailer

Started by thomas, April 29, 2010, 11:31:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thomas

I'm looking to see if I can find a good deal on a trailer sailer I can buy. I'm interested in doing the Wed. night races, and curious as to what it would take to get into it, boat wise. If I could find the right sailboat...it would have to be around the 25 ft size. Or, if you know anyone that has a sailboat meeting this size that would work for what I'm looking for and they're not using it, maybe it needs some work and they don't want to put any money in it, or whatever, I'd be interested in getting it ready for these races and maybe renting it from them for these events or whatever kind of deal I could work out with them. Let me know if you're aware of anything. Thank you sincerely.  forethcause@gmail.com

STuma

Try looking at the Catalina 22... The class is building on the lake and the boat is pretty versatile... Contact Ben Miller or Rob Caulkins...
cheers...
Scott

ChrisA

There's a nice CAL 24 at the storage lot next to CVS on 146.

thomas

Hey thanks for taking the time to post that for me. thank you sir. I appreciate it.

Rob

Someone needs to buy this boat and join the C22 fleet! We have a great class shaping up on Wednesday nights. I don't know anything about this particular boat but let us know if you buy it and we'll help you get it up to speed. Also, the fleet's cruising captain is druming up interest is other on the water activity.

Keith

Engines are class rules for the C22 fleet.  I know people who just take the inside out and have a "mock" engine hanging on the back to reduce weight.

Bee

Sounds like a wonderful way to violate class rules in a unportsman like manner.

Keith

ChrisK

Randy Nettles is the local C-22 Galveston Bay Fleet 17 captain.
He posted some information at SSY, trying to stir up more local interest in the Catalina 22 class
The number he left was 832-215-4273, you can also try randycat22 at yahoo.
He might know of some local boats for sale and give you the latest local news, all things C-22.  Feel free to share some of that news here. It will motivate others to bring their C-22 to come out and play.

It would be nice if Fleet 17 got a little more organized....there seems to be a bit of resurgence in the class locally (at least Wednesday Nights).  Rob, Charles, Ben it just might be time to dig up some old fleet 17 trophies  :)

Texas C-22 Circuit Schedule
Fleet 47 link.
In prior years a good number of C-22 would come down here and race the NOOD.
From what I can tell, there is still a pretty good following in the Hill Country and Dallas.

As a side note, my parents had a C-22 here, waaaay back in 1974. It had a yellow deck. I have faint memories, most them are the time I went overboard at ripe age of 3, right in front of Jimmy Walkers.  I had my PFD on but I'm fairly confident mom has never really forgiven dad for that one.
I often wonder what ever happened to that boat...
Past Commodore, 2010

Jonsey

A C22 would be an excellent boat to start with - AYC has a very active fleet as well.   You'll find one design racing at several major events around the state. 

Charles

There are several (4 or 5 at least) Catalina 22's in Kemah Boat Storage (the old Gulf Coast Sailing ) that haven't been moved, except by Ike, since I have been down here.  I would suspect that they could be bought cheap.  You can ask Paul at Boaters Resale Shop on  Marina Bay Drive.  Ben, Rob, Randy, and myself all sail out of there, so you can get a lot of "advice" and help.
Charles

P.S.  There is a group trying to get enough c22's to make a fleet at the Luekemia Cup Regatta. Here' some contact info.

Ricky Carroll
Houston Leukemia Cup Regatta Committee
Treasure, Board of Trustees, Gulf Coast Chapter, The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society

Aeolia
No. 15552
2005 Sport
Conroe, Texas

Moi Verstehe Nada,
Char-les

Bee

Still hard for me to believe that the C22 is still made.  Should be getting close to a 1,000,000 by now.  No?

kentwm

Hey Thomas,

If you pick up a C22, I'll crew for you. I'd even hit the road to race at the other events around the state. I'm considering buying a Catalina 22 myself next year. Now that I know there is an active fleet my interest in the class is even higher.

Kent

jsailor

Why not a J-22?

The J-22s are active on the lake and on the bay.
The boats are easy to sail and not expensive to maintain.

There is a great group of people to get you up and running quickly.

There are a few for sale in Texas, Oklahoma, and Louisiana.

There is one in The Woodlands, #581, where the owner has recently lowered his price.
He did not update the listing at the US J-22 Class site.

Check out the classified sections at:

US J-22 Class:

http://www.usaj22.com/index.php/classifieds

J-22 Southwest District:

http://www.j22southwest.org