New to sailing, looking to sail

Started by LaceyC, May 13, 2010, 09:42:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaceyC

My husband and I are new to sailing. We both completed ASA 101 in March through South Coast Sailing in Kemah.  We really love the area and are looking forward to sailing more and eventually buying our own boat. We currently live in the Keller/Fort Worth area and we do a lot of sail boat races with our club that is located on Lake Grapevine.  Our experience is limited to the boat we learned on, Colgate 26 and the boat we have crewed on at Lake Grapevine, Catalina 30.  We are planning to move to the Clear Lake area within the next year..once we sale the house and find employment.  ;D

On Friday May 21 we will be returning to Kemah to continue our education with South Coast Sailing, but we will have some down time and would like to get out in the bay.  We don't have the skills to charter a boat ourselves and we looked into getting on the Capt Kidd, since our 2 children will be with us, but its just not what we are looking for.  For instance, on the Capt Kidd, we would end up paying about $100.00 for a 2 hour cruise packed tight with as many other people that could fit on the boat. Then we would sit there and enjoy the ride.  We don't want to just sit and enjoy the ride. We are interested in learning more skills and crewing the boat.  If you would be interested in taking us out on Friday evening or Saturday afternoon (May 21 or 22), please contact me.  We are a young family with 2 kids, ages 7 and 5 looking for a sail with some nice people that we can learn from and hopefully be friends with.  If you have kids, thats even better :)

I understand that there are rules and regulations about taking payment if you aren't a captain, however we don't expect to ride for free.

lacey at craddock.org
?To reach a port we must sail, sometimes with the wind, and sometimes against it. But we must not drift or lie at anchor.? - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Bee

On May 22 there is a "Test Drive Day" out of LYC.  You can probably get a ride there for free.  Starts at 10:00.

Bee

If you happen to be around on the 29th you can sign up for GBCA's basic racing seminar for 10 bucks and get a free ride for the Rum Race that evening.

http://www.regattanetwork.com/clubs/gbca.html

LaceyC

Thanks!

Our class on Saturday May 22 is from 8am to noon. How long does the test drive day last?
?To reach a port we must sail, sometimes with the wind, and sometimes against it. But we must not drift or lie at anchor.? - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Bee

There will be a sign up sheet to schedule the boats, but how long this lasts will depend on how many people show up.  If the turnout is small it will not last long at all.

Hamburger

I would certainly expect the event to last into the afternoon. The event in Austin was pretty much all day. The Test Drive Day is meant for people like you, Lacey, as well as for racers of all stripes. Please come down. We'll get you on a good boat, and you'll get the opportunity for some hands on work, too!

Bee

Al

Can she send in her information by email?  If we know she's coming we can make sure they get on a boat.  Quite sure Kevin and I will be willing to sail pretty much all day.

LaceyC

That would be great! We can definitely make it after noon.  But we need to be on a boat with experienced people. Let me know what I need to do. Thanks for all the help! :)

Bee

You will either be driving --- with some help --- or working crew.  Either way you will have the opportunity to drive at some point.  The idea behind this event is to get people to come out and test drive different boats to see if they are interested in one or the other.  Of course, we will not make you drive if you don't want to but since we will not be under race conditions driving should not be all that much of an issue.

STuma

Lacey,

After we get through hard practices for Leukemia Cup, you guys are more than welcome to come aboard Bondi... We keep it a pretty casual atmosphere, my kids are usually walking around, hiking on the low side, etc...

cheers...
Scott
cheers...
Scott

Chris P

Lacey-
Next time you're down here, give us a call; you're welcome to sail with our tribe on our 36' boat. Kids from 2-25. And trust me, I'll put you to work. My bride is the only one who gets to claim official "Deck Fluff" status: All others work for their keep.
Chris