146 Bridge Weather Station

Started by Quest, July 13, 2010, 11:15:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quest

I didn't want to get involved with that other discussion since this is a bit different.

A friend of mine was the HC OEM employee who actually installed that thing.  It's owned by TXDOT now and it's on their list of 'don't bother to fix' (not a real list but unofficially low priority).  I had a chat with him tonight and he said if I thought there were enough of us interested in sending email requests to TXDOT to request a 'sprucing up', he would look up the actual folks email addys who make those decisions.

Not saying it would actually happen, but he did say that if they knew a bunch of people wanted it running, then it filters up the list (plus he said unofficially, they can tell their bosses they are helping serve community requests or something like that).

Any interest?

Rob

Some municipalities shut down bridges when the wind speed hits a number, seems they would like to know what it is blowing, EH?

ChrisK

Sounds great.  I'm surprised to hear the station is down considering its importance during evacuations and hurricane season.

If you want to get more official with it, please send along a draft, we'll put it on GBCA letterhead, gather signatures next Rum/Wednesday Night Race.  Or if you feel letters/emails from individuals would be more effective, please let us know.

Maybe TxDOT can fix the neon Texas flags atop the bridge while they're at it...
Past Commodore, 2010

STuma

agree with you Chris.. I miss that flag.... I think you guys have a good point, it can serve as a safety concern also...  Maybe we can get some of the "powers" in Kemah to help push..... I believe we have some sailing contacts...
cheers...
Scott

Burns

I just looked at the bridge website 30 seconds ago.  It looks like it is working to me or at least giving data.  WeatherUnderground has the breeze at 13S the bridge is showing 10W.