Harvest Moon Regatta 2010

Started by Andrea, July 28, 2010, 03:14:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrea

On line registration is now open.  Go to the Enter the Race page of the HarvestMoonRegatta.com website for the Notice of Race and the link to the registration.  
New for 2010 is voluntary race tracking on a TrackLeaders.com website.  All boats who provide a "Spot" link can be tracked on a single web page.  
Also new for 2010, the Cruising with Spinnaker Fleet will be limited to poleless assymmetric spinnakers, or symmetric spinnakers using a tacker device; no spinnaker poles will be used in the cruising fleets.  
Light weight racers will race in the Bacardi fleet using ORC Club handicapping.  Heavier racer-cruisers can compete for the Bacardi Cup with an ORC Club certificate, or they may opt to compete for division trophies only, using a PHRF based rating assigned by the race committee.  
The entry fee remains at $125, with a 10% discount to US Sailing members.  Hope to see everyone in Port Aransas for the party!!!!

sailorjohnny

Just curious, what happened to the PHRF spinnaker class? Looks like it's poleless or ORC for LYC offshore races.

Andrea

We have not had a PHRF spinnaker fleet in at least five years, since ORC was adopted for the Bacardi Cup.  You are thinking of the Cruising Spinnaker fleet.
Two years ago we divided the cruising spinnaker fleet into two groups: Poleless, and otherwise.  The creation of the poleless division encouraged several competitors to graduate into the cruising spinnaker fleet from the non spin fleet, and we want to encourage this progression, as these cruisers ultimately move onto more racing.  Over the last few years we have had several racers drop into the cruising spinnaker fleet, causing much grumbling among the cruisers for whom Harvest Moon was, they tell me, originally created.  After a J/105 won the overall cruising spinnaker trophy, it was time to move the racer/cruiser types and light racers out of the cruising fleet.  They are now being offered a subdivision of the ORC fleet. 
True racer/cruisers (sail area to displacement under 20) can choose to race in a racer/cruiser division, and use their PHRF based cruising ratings for division trophies, or they can enter an ORC Club division.  If they have an ORC Club certificate, they can compete for the overall Bacardi trophy. Light racers and sport boats must race ORC Club. 

Andrea

The Roundtable is this Saturday, beginning at 8:30 in the Lakewood ballroom.  Topics include crew prep, boat prep, racing rules, and several other topics of interest to new cruisers and old hands.  Bacardi has again donated an "Early Bat" prize that will be raffled to one lucky skipper who has registered (and paid) to race. 
We have a limited number of SPOTS available on line to rent for the race.  We are also using Smart phone tracking via Moostrax.  The Smart phones won't be reliable once you get away from the shore based antennas, but it will give us some coverage for those who do not have a SPOT available.
Saturday will be a tax free day for regatta merchandise, so it is a good time to come by and check out the new Tees, polos, and Columbias that arrive Thursday.  Doors will open by 8 am Saturday so you can get some shopping in before the program starts.
This program is open to the public, so if you can't come, send your navigator or newbee crew.

Andrea

Registrations are still flowing in; it looks like we should have a good turnout. We still have a few SPOT locators available for rent through the on line store at only $40, so if you have not made the decision to purchase one, but would still like to try it out, this is a great opportunity to share the race with your family and friends around the world. 
Our theme is the Quest for Jean Laffite's Treasure, which is rumored to be buried on Mustand Island, so get out your treasure maps and your pirate gear.  There will be champagne at the finish line, weather permitting (if our delivery vessels don't turn into emergency towing or docking assist vehicles.)

David

Andrea can you clarify the classes that are competing for the Bacardi Cup.  Are both the light weight racers in the Bacardi fleet and the heavier racer-cruisers competing for the Bacardi Cup with an ORC Club certificate.  Also if you do not use ORC in the racer cruiser fleet are you competing for a fleet trophy also.

Andrea

Boats in the Racer-Cruiser division will use their PHRF based cruising ratings to compete for division trophies.  They will not be competing for a fleet trophy unless they provide an ORC Club certificate and compete for the Bacardi Cup. 

Andrea

Sunday, Oct. 3 is the cutoff for registration at $125 (10% discount to US Sailing members).  The late fee kicks in after 5pm.  We are at 199 paid right now.  I expect to see 225 by the time we are done.
Check out our live race tracking website.http://trackleaders.com/harvest

Andrea

We have Spots available for rent again in our on line store.  http://www.regattanetwork.com/clubmgmt/applet_storefront.php?regatta_id=2791&clear_session=1  If you are going to participate in on line race tracking, don't forget to send me a photo of your boat.

ChrisK

SPOT registration link for tie in with trackleaders.com:  
https://spreadsheets.google.com/embeddedform?formkey=dFRaeGpsQk00eUdTZVUxWmJCY1pXeGc6MQ

I noticed in the form there is a smart phone option. I guess that's better than nothing until you get past Freeport where you lose cell coverage.  Has anyone tried out/played with the phone option?
Past Commodore, 2010

Andrea

I have used it on my IPhone.  You can see my tracks on the website.  It is nothing like having a Spot and it burns through the batteries in about four hours, but our thought is that it is free and as boats get near the finish and within cell phone coverage, we may be able to see them. 

It is very hard to schedule the docking committee when we have no clue where the fleet is. This year, with nearly a hundred people out of 226 boats sharing their SPOTs we will be in better shape to handle them. 

There was one fellow who had Spot send me his spot link, but he did not fill out the form so I have no idea who he is or what boat he is on or how to contact him. So when "Robert" says he is disappointed because his track is not included, tell him to fill out the form so we know who he is.

ChrisK

No system is perfect.  As most of us know, the trackers have their limitations. 
They work best pointed at the sky, unobstructed.

Other things: The Gen1 SPOT default to 2 hours tracking after 24 hours, you have to re-cycle them to get the 10-30 minutes update mode (if you paid for that upgrade). On the SPOT Gen1 that's two blinking lights.

SPOTS and various trackers do allow RC to sleep in a little, but on the flip side you'll still get the calls from Aunt Jane in Topeka when the tracker doesn't check in frequently enough.

If you do own a tracking system, don't just blindly send friends and family a link.
It's also your responsibility to tell them the limitations of the system!

aka. they don't work like a cell phone!  ::)
Past Commodore, 2010

gwittich

Figaro wishes all GBCA sailors a great race and a safe return!

GW
Gerhard Wittich/sv Figaro

ChrisK

Traditionally GBCA sailors do very well this race AND win the party.
Sail safe and see you in Port A! 
Past Commodore, 2010

Chris P

How's the fleet doing? Looks like its been a beating.  Hope no one was hurt nor too much damage involved.