Best camcorder to use on a boat

Started by ralexw, August 20, 2010, 04:01:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ralexw

Wondering what cameras people used to film on board.  Im not talking about Avatar style 3D movie cameras.  I saw a Sony Playsport waterproof camcorder and wanted to see what other people were using and how happy they were with their choice.
Thanks in advance. 

pete

Check out GOPROHD for video...very good stuff, I am considering buying one myself. Cheers

RumSponge

I have two GoPros, the older non HD wide angle version and the HD version.  I've used them with a head strap, but you could mount it anywhere easily (especially on a stern pulpit).  It can be submerged deep so getting wet is no problem.

The GoPros have multiple resolution and fps options plus have non video options and can take images in a time lapse fashion.

This video was with the old wide angle GoPro:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAtOuTIHJSg

Some of my newer videos were taken with the HD version but with a sdhc card that wasnt quite fast enough to be really smooth.

RumSponge

Here's a GoPro HD example (on 1080 30fps, still bad memory card):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=occkChnLMsQ

Bee

Hey Sponge.  Do these things have stabilization?

RumSponge

No.  This was designed for sports where if it may be on a smooth platform such as a surfboard or very bumpy like motorcross where image stabilization won't work.  Image stabilization is designed for when the camera is held by hand.

Bee

Well the video's on Youtube really look great.  At the price of the camera I think I will get one.  I like the idea of putting it on the pushpit to get some shots of the crew in action.

Thanks

ralexw

thanks for the input.  i ended up buying a Playsport but if it craps out or the video is bad i will buy a Gopro or two next. 

Happy Sailing!

Jonsey

Ordered a gopro last week, should come in today.  Cant wait to go play this sunday, hope the breeze is on.

RumSponge

A note on the GoPro HD:  If you actually want to record smoothly at 1080p, you need at a bare minimum of 15 mb/s write speed.  If you want a 32 gb sdhc card that will handle the task and will actually work well, you WILL spend over $100.  I got a class 10 Kingston for lower 100s and a Sandisk which is even more reliable will be mid 100s.

If you don't have a fast write speed and it looks choppy from the raw screening, uploading it to youtube and have their compression deal with it will make look it a lot prettier.

Bee

Hi Sponge.

I manage to screw up and bought the naked GoPro so have had to wait to get additional mounts.  Even though I still program I sometimes have gas on the brain and do stupid things like that.

I got a 16 gig Scan disk at Best Buy for $89.  I made sure it was 15 mb/s.  Where do you get the 32 gig cards?

I Plan to put the GoPor on the binnacle for Rum Race 8.  Any comments about which back to use?  Should be OK to use the open one don't you think?

joe

The 32 gig card is available at the GoPro site for 99.00.  The mounting kit is 19.95

Bee

I got a mounting kite for $20.  Taxed, but no shipping costs.

Bee

Crud.  I ordered the mounting bracket a week ago and was told I would get it by tomorrow.  Today I got an email saying it will not arrive until Tuesday.  Does anyone with a GoPro have a handle bar bracket I can borrow?  Sure would like to use the camera for the next rum race.

Bee

A little PVC, a couple tools, a little bit of work and voila  a rail mount for the GoPro Hero for the amazing price of $3.23.