Accident at J80 Worlds

Started by psheaffer, July 06, 2009, 10:16:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

psheaffer

I just read on SA that Jay Lutz's team was hit by a Press RIB in the practice race at the J/80 Worlds in Santander. Jay apparently suffered a broken pelvis (3 places, and L2 fracture.) Steve LeMay may have suffered a concussion. Best wishes for a rapid recovery.  http://www.flickr.com/photos/22671611@N06/3694769592/

MaryM

By the looks of the pictures, they are lucky that no one was killed - the rib went broadsides clear over the top of the J80 at a high rate of speed.  Wishing everyone a speedy recovery.

Bee

Anyone know exactly how this happened.  I never understand how a high-speed power boat can do something like this; especially a press boat supposedly covering the event. >:(

Charles

Quote from: Bee on July 07, 2009, 07:35:58 AM
Anyone know exactly how this happened.  I never understand how a high-speed power boat can do something like this; especially a press boat supposedly covering the event. >:(
A  severe case of H.U.T.A
Moi Verstehe Nada,
Char-les

hayesrigging

I emailed Jay last night and he was in the hospital but in good spirits, at least it sounded that way according to his email.  They were tuning up pre race and a boat sped across the bow of the boat they were tuning with and broad sided them from the port side.  The rib went from the port to stbd side right at the traveler and the prop got stuck in the cockpit.  They believe the boat is totaled.  According to SA, it was the General Manager of the yacht club that was driving the boat.  This morning Steve Lemay posted that Jay is out of the hospital.  Jay did say that the rest of the crew was fine, which includes JT.  I believe he is the only other person from the Galveston Bay area that was on board.

Bee

Thanks goodness everyone is at least recovering. 

Yacht Club Manager huh?  Seems he needs boating lessons. :'(

Kaos

I just exchanged emails with the event organizer in Spain and below is his quote, he did say he would continue to update me to there investigation of the accident.

"As I told you all we know is that Jay is back in the hotel and going back to USA the next days.
Regarding the accident all we can tell you is that has  been an unfortunate sport incident that is beeing clarified."

Fernando Gomis

I know it is very little info but it all they want to release at the moment.

Robert McMahan
Kaos #703