Seatow or Towboat U.S.?

Started by JayZ, September 27, 2010, 08:17:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayZ

Hey folks,

I try to be self sufficient and have only been truly rescued once by a towing service.  However, I own a very old boat that has been going through a bit of a refit but not Everything has been addressed.  Therefore, I am thinking of picking up a towing service.

Which is best in and around Galveston Bay?  What about up and down the TX Coast.  I had a Seatow Membership that just expired but that was what was best when I had the both berthed elsewhere.

Anyone care to weigh in?

Thanks,
Jay Zittrer
Jay Zittrer
s/v BANJO GIRL

Charles

I crewed on a boat back in the spring and it had to be towed from Galveston.  The owner had unlimited towing with TowboatUS and we called as soon as we got within cellphone coverage. They met us at the end of the jetties and towed us all the way back and it didn't cost the owner anything, other than the annual fee.  According to their website, unlimited towing up to 50 miles off Galveston is $125.00 a year plus BoatUS membership, which is cheap.

Charles
Moi Verstehe Nada,
Char-les

dilast1

West Marine Members only sale this September 30th has the tow boat discounted to $112.

I've also got the towboat usa for myself last march and will renew it this march.

Brad

I do not know anything about Seatow.  I can recommend Towboat US.  They have great captains and are very helpful if you need them.  They are also good for advice on alternative solutions to being towed.

As suggested, you should enroll in the Unlimited Towing option.  If you don't you could run up a big bill ($800?) to get towed from one end of Clear Lake to the bridge).  I have actually only used them with a small incident with a fishing boat that would not start, but I have talked to several of their skippers and would highly recommend Towboat US - very responsive and helpful.

Brad

sailorjohnny

Just my 2 cents worth, keep the Seatow with unlimited towing.