HMR weather

Started by Franklin, October 06, 2010, 04:08:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Franklin

Has anybody looked at the weather models for the weekend of the HMR?  I looked at the GFS model on weather underground and noticed they are predicting not only rough weather on the Texas coast, but also what looks like a hurricane just south of Cuba headed this way.  I know it's still very early for models to be accurate, but they usually are right about the development of storms well in advance.  The way I figure it, we've been having too nice of weather lately for it to continue :(  and here I was hoping for a gentle breeze while I sit on the high side drinking a beer, soaking up the sun and watching all the beautiful sailboats as they pass us :).  I guess I'll have to setting for hanging on for dear life trying to keep my food down, skin dry and warm while sipping hot tea.  Maybe I can put some rum in that tea.

http://www.wunderground.com/modelmaps/maps.asp?model=NAM&domain=US

Franklin

hmmmm....models are different now...no more bad weather ;D

JayZ

yes it is going to be an off the wind race with a nice moderate breeze, clear skies moderate temperature.  ...oh and the moon will be big and full.  it is this way every year isn't it?
Jay Zittrer
s/v BANJO GIRL

Franklin

No.  Some years a northern front blows in during the race.  We usually do get a cold front in October about a week before halloween so when the race is held has a lot to do with it.  The good news is the models have change and are now calling for a little breeze and no storm.  I guess I should have waited a few days before posting  :-[

Keith

MaryM

JayZ

wait a minute!  The brochure, poster and website said it was going to be an easy off the wind race.  ;D
Jay Zittrer
s/v BANJO GIRL

Bee

Yeah Jay, just like last year and every other year before.  Never ever changes.  Don't believe anything Keith says. Those CA boys don't know nuttin about Texas' weather.

edthemainsailguy

the only thing that will be the same as the regattas before this one, will be the set list for the band ... and how good the rum is! :D

DollFin

They can't even get the weather/wind predictions right on the same day, how can we expect them to know what it will be like in 2 weeks? :P

Work out those sailing knots!
Sea of Tranquility Therapeutic Massage
713 408-0444

MaryM

One of my personal highlights of the HMR skippers meeting is the weather forecast from the gentlemen that has been doing it forever.  We should start a pool based on his predictions!

Franklin

Well, that tropical storm prediction is back now but saying it will go in the same direction as Paula.  What I don't like about the models now is it's calling for heavy rain Wednesday night, all day Thursday and Friday.

ChrisK

Well, are the t-48 hour predictions close to the two week forecast?

Looks like building breeze. 0 at the start all the way to 20+ late Thur night as you make your way south. (Sailflow)

Downwind?
I can think of one time, maybe 2, in twelve years?

Besides some spirited weather (some I'm still trying to forget). I've seen all kinds of exciting things on this race: being becalmed in a plague of flies, flying ants (ouch), errie onshore fires, a night listening to Katrina debris roll across the bottom of the boat, near misses with standpipes/dredge pipes/unlit shrimp boats/nav markers/barges under tow; created piles of broken boat stuff like shrouds, blocks, sails, entire electrical systems... smelled a dolphins breath, had a bird (finch?) perched upon the shoulder, admired Frigate birds on the attack, witnessed flying fish, migrant butterflies, the Milky Way, a comet, space shuttles flying overhead and a certain 100+ year old tall ship completely horizen the fleet before we even got to Freeport....and that's just the trip down.
Should be a good one!
Past Commodore, 2010