Freeport question Need some help

Started by Rick, March 22, 2011, 04:19:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick

I've done my share of Harvest Moons but never had to duck into Freeport.  I'm going there the first week in April and have two quick questions some of you old salts might help me with.

First, seems all the Coastal Pilots and Cruising Guides always say the jetty entrances have dangerous currents and can be treacherous to navigate.  What's it really like in Freeport assuming ordinary conditions?  Do I have to enter at slack water?  Do I take my life in my hands if I try to enter when the wind opposes the current?  Assuming average conditions, can I enter whenever I arrive or do I really have to wait outside for a specific window of opportunity?

Second, I've heard Bridge Harbor only has short finger piers so boats have to back in.  My full keel Island Packet is difficult to back so I'd prefer to go bow in.   Can you do that in Bridge Harbor?  I've also heard that it's tight just getting in to the marina.  Some comments have suggested using Surfside Marina instead?  Any thoughts on that?  Which is the easiest to get into and which would allow me to go bow first?

Thanks, Sailors.

Bee

My first experience with Freeport was with my Santana 3030 when Texas Race Week was run out of there. My J105 Stinger has been in and out of the Freeport jetties several times.  I don't remember ever having any problems with current, but when the breeze is on sailing out is a bit of an issue.  Of course you must be careful with regard to commercial traffic, but if you pay attention to your VHF and do what the big boys ask you should be OK.

Getting in and out of Bridge Harbor can be an issue if you draw more than about 5.5 feet.  Stinger draws 6.5 feet and almost always bounces a bit.  We have tied up at the Bridge Harbor Fuel dock nose in so I don't see a problem there either.

Please note that this was all pre-Ike so things may have changed considerably.  I certainly would expect more silting then we saw so do be careful and watch the depth sounder.

gwittich

Re: Freeport jetties:
I have navigated them numerous times with my 22 ft Bay Boat and several times with my 35 ft Sailboat, draft 5'10''.
In short - there are no problems under average conditions.
There is no huge body of water to drain (only the Intracoastal) - as opposed to the Port O'Connor jetties, which drain Matagorda Bay. Therefore the entrance is pretty benign - even during out going tide and onshore wind of less than 25 knots.
Re; Bridgeport:
I have stayed there after Ike with my sailboat (draft 5'10") and have not touched ground. There is a long pier near the gas pumps - as you enter the marina. Other slips near the fuel pumps and the office are short finger piers. However, I have not had a problem docking bow first with my 35' boat. I believe further back in the marina they have longer slips.
Go for it!
GW
Gerhard Wittich/sv Figaro

Rick

Guys, I really appreciate your help.  It'll give me a lot more confidence now, thanks to you.

Rick