2011 Wednesday Night Sailboat Races

Started by STuma, March 28, 2011, 01:09:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry Young

ChrisA

To clarify, the meeting at GBCA this Tuesday is not about the future of Wednesday nights. Buddy requested some time to address the Board during our regularly scheduled meeting. Once that is over we will continue with our very busy agenda.

Bee

Yeah, Wednesday night racing made Sailing Anarchy and the skipper of the Soverel 27 (who shall remain nameless but is an absolutely wonderful guy) took a huge amount of misinformed commentary.  This is why I don't post anything on SA.  The readers are a bunch of ideologs who post their righteous views without thinking and almost always focus on negative comments about either the boat, the skipper, or both.

This kind of commentary makes Tempesta a huge amount of money, but SA is not on my list of things I wish to facilitate.

ChrisK

Alot of misinformation on SA.
One of the main reasons why I choose not to be part of their online community.  
For now, I'll continue to keep my stalker status, and take the high road.

Yes, there are a few things in the boat/sail handling/crew coordination/safety department we could do different and (of course) like every team, we'll discuss what can be done and hopefully be a little better for the next race.  

I'm reading/listening and open to all the comments...criticism and complements alike.
I'd really rather you meet me in person. I'd be more than happy to talk about the event and how you handled your similar experiences as well.

Big picture, Jeanna is/was safe and coming back next week.
We're going to race the boat as hard (yes, that might include another broach or two) and as safely as we can.

See you Saturday!
Past Commodore, 2010

ShakenNotStirred

Lots of misinformation, including that about you being fouled right after the start!  ;) ;)
2013 Commodore

Bee

What I marvel at the most is that most of the comments were made by people who not only do not know anything about the venue, they know nothing about the people involved.  Its very easy to demonize someone while your hiding behind a keyboard or video screen, but not so easy to do it face-to-face. 

I'm pretty sure everyone, even the best professionals, have at one time or the other been in similar situations.

Don't drop out on us Chris.

Funk

Thought it was a non-event the MOB was in the water less than a minute.....
WHATS IT RATE

DollFin

OK, minor digression, but just want to say this: As a woman and a relative newbie to sailing. I have as raunchy and "un PC" a sense of humor as any far more seasoned sailor and try not to take things too seriously, however I was as appalled by the constant stream of degrading comments towards women on the SA thread as I was at the amount of "armchair skippers" berating people they don't know for a situation they did not personally witness. It really makes me appreciate the community we have here and how supportive and accepting they have been as opposed to what I've been reading there. Just sayin'.

Work out those sailing knots!
Sea of Tranquility Therapeutic Massage
713 408-0444

MaryM

I agree that it was a non-event, the problem is the crew without a clue about SA thought it would be a funny to put on that site.  Stupid idea.

Bee

baileyrace

Agree this was an entertaining non-event!! Doll Fin has it on the money.

B Sailing/Alan Bates

Minimizing  a person overboard to a "non-event" is dangerous in itself, to call it "entertaining" shows disrespect for the seriousness of this life threatening event.  50 intangibles could have gone a different way, and we would be lamenting a tragedy on Clear Lake.  Serious injury to Jeanna, or other crew members during the event could easily have happened.   And, the sail, boat and crew handling have to be examined in order to grow the knowledge and safety of the crew, and the sport in general.  The SA community has many well-intentioned people ruined by a majority of infantile, morally bankrupt artless foobs.  Some points were well stated, though. Not many.

I am not at all a good example of wearing a PFD, but a throwable nearby is prudent.

Here is what I see:
After the first round-up, initiated by crew weight movement off the rail, I suspect-- the spin guy gets eased @29sec, this initiates the second round up, and parks the boat, losing Jeanna.  At this point, the guy could be run completely through the blocks (assuming your strongest crew is holding the spin sheet in position for a take down) and the kite could have been under control a little faster.  One minute to get the kite under control is not bad at all.

I was thrown off a J/80 while under spinnaker practicing before a WNR on the Bay, by the mainsheet (not the crew), and I have 35 years sailing under my belt.  It was the first time I had ever fallen overboard.  Falling off a dock is a different matter--I did not spill the drinks, though.  It is a vulnerable feeling of helplessness as the boat sails away, and one that helps me respect the seriousness of a crew overboard.     

Alan Bates/B Sailing-281-212-7348
Learn to sail and race J/Boats in annual membership sailing club. Unlimited sailing on "your' own boat.

Big John

Sorry, out of town on a personal matter, Scores are up.
John Butler

STuma

Thank you John for getting the results up.

Alan has some very good points.  With enough time, one will be dislocated from a boat.  Lifelines or not, it can happen.  I have had trapeze wires break, harnesses break, lifelines break and just plain tossed off a boat.  I grew up on small boats and got into the habit of wearing a lifejacket, in all conditions.  Over the years, I have gotten relaxed at times, but this is a reminder of how quick everything happens.  In a time of panic, and probably disbelief, a turn around time of a minute is not a bad job by Chris and crew.  Can we all watch the video and pick the actions apart, yes.  How many of us out there have had a MOB?  Even if one has experienced a live MOB event, the situations are different and cannot be related.  It becomes scary and real very quickly.  I have had a couple of events where a crew member went overboard, but they were able to hold onto a spinnaker sheet where I was able to get them back on board. 

I also agree that it isn't a non-event.  It is something we all need to keep in mind of how quickly bad a fun time can turn tragic.  It's the ones that down-play this type of event are dangerous on a boat.  In regards to SA and the comments that were made; one has to realize their perspective: they don't know how small the race area is, how many boats are around, the depth of the lake, or many of the factors that were going on at that time. 

But, like any video or audio recording, it can be manipulated, and/or misunderstood, and does not always tell the entire story. 
cheers...
Scott

ChrisK

Excellent video and commentary Alan Bates! Some great J80 racing on the bay

http://youtu.be/ZvMY-4dztAs
Past Commodore, 2010