GBCA Rum Race #4: 7/18

Started by ChrisK, June 16, 2009, 10:47:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bee

Sounds like this race should have been called.

Kevin just verified that that was Stinger's brand spanking new 110 sq. mt. chute. 

Sailaway

Here are a few pics from the Rum Race that Scott and I took.  Didn't say out to watch the end of the race but look at the last couple of pics.  Ouch! :o

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lacyphotos/sets/

John m/v Tramp

STuma

Was able to watch 3rd leg from Noah's Ark... Was able to show kids what not to do... It was an interestering line, watched it build over Red fish area and move in... Don't worry, we were able to finish dinner before it started raining...

cheers...
Scott
cheers...
Scott

marc

Quote from: Bee on July 19, 2009, 07:37:52 PM
Sounds like this race should have been called.

Kevin just verified that that was Stinger's brand spanking new 110 sq. mt. chute. 

Racing Rule #4 says a yacht's decision to race or continue racing is hers alone (or something to that effect). It is almost impossible to call a Rum Race since there's no RC to call it. But, honestly, even if there was, some boats are perfectly capable of racing in those conditions and may even enjoy it. Calling the race is unfair to them. So, let them race, and let each boat make their own decision, as it should be.

Sorry to hear about your spinnaker. That's gotta hurt.

El Diablo

?Force shites upon Reason's Back.?
-Ben Franklin

Bee

Whether you believe it or not, I do understand the rules.

I was and always am concerned about the potential for injury.  First thing any owner must be concerned about is that. Fortunately, as far as I know, none of Stinger's crew was seriously injured. Two of the five were in the water hanging on to stanchions. With all those lines free, anything could have happened. Nevertheless they calmly recovered and dodged the rest of the bullets on the way back to slip :).

Boats and Chutes are just $$$ and easily replaced. If your going to race you must accept the price in every aspect. But the hardware is easy to replace.  People are another matter entirely. Sitting here all locked up from surgery, I know what it would be like to get seriously injured, wind up in hospital and not be able to sail for an extended period. >:(

What I did not understand at first was when the carnage happened.  As it was toward the end nothing much could or should have been done. I remember getting blasted in one of these just after the start.  The then Commodore could be heard screaming over channel 68 that the race was officially canceled and everyone should get off the Bay ASAP.  I think that race was won by Roy Crawford on The Great Escape. :D

hayesrigging

Bee where are you at.  I am in St johns in Nassau bay with whY they believe is a staph infection in my leg.  If you are her maybe we can get together for happy hour!!!  My injury had nothing to do with sat night but did have to go to er later that evening.  I had to miss the party so I didn't get to here all the carnage reports.   So everyone keep posting stories about SAt night this gets real boring quick

Kevin

Bee

Quote from: hayesrigging on July 20, 2009, 05:58:54 PM
Bee where are you at.  I am in St johns in Nassau bay with whY they believe is a staph infection in my leg.  If you are her maybe we can get together for happy hour!!!  My injury had nothing to do with sat night but did have to go to er later that evening.  I had to miss the party so I didn't get to here all the carnage reports.   So everyone keep posting stories about SAt night this gets real boring quick

Kevin

That would be great Kevin.  Would like that a lot, but unfortunately I came home Thursday round 4:30 PM.  I have also had what you have and would not change my knee for the infection.  Be damn careful with that.  Those things can eat away your leg or worse really fast.

My requirement for a total knee replacement was based on what appeared to a knee collapse.  On Monday July 6th I could barely stand.  We already knew the knee was bone-on-bone so I just said "let's go", and we went.  The squirrelly thing was that by the morning of the surgery (Monday July 20th) the pain was gone.  I mean totally gone.  Just had to gut up and go.

Take care.

Bee

ChrisK

One Design 35 takes a little dip...first time out.
pic credit to Tanya Ledger on Island Time

Past Commodore, 2010

ChrisK

"Uh, guys, maaaaybe we should take the spinnaker down..."
Pic by Tanya Ledger
Past Commodore, 2010

ChrisK

Past Commodore, 2010

Big John

In order.

There was plenty of potential for problems with this race beforehand.  Because of weather, we did not leave the slip til almost 5, having heard several people call in and be told by the race committee that this race was not cancelled.  We had visual of radar and could see cells developing but the bay appeared to be under clear sky. 

Once out it was actually quite nice until the end of the second leg when we could see the clouds forming over the east bay and off to the south.  Got too busy with getting the  spin up and were even trying to set up the staysail, which was probably why we did not realize we had a problem till the 1D35 went Splat right behind us.  We might have been halfway down with the kite were it not for the other distractions.  Anyway, it hit us and all but one sheet pulled through while we were letting the halyard down.  We went over on the side and ended up hove to perpendicular to the wind. 

Due to many good fortunes, we managed to get the kite, but not one set of sheets and guys back into the boat.  Only other damage was a chunk of TuffLuff, which does not appear to be problematic for now.  Net is probably over a thousand bucks, but probably not two, unless you consider that the 1/2 oz spinaker is now a 3/8 oz spinaker, but somewhat stretched out.   

I understand Parrot Tales had some damage as well.  Kudos to the J80's for holding things together and winning, and everyone for keeping our casualty list down.  btw I was under the impression that there were more non-spin boats finishing than show in the result, but people may have been motoring?.

There are, in fact, advantages to owning a boat which was built overly stout from the get-go. 

As for the race committee's decision, it is, as always, a crap shoot with weather on Galveston Bay, but in this case, the existence of generally unsettled weather and lightning prior to the race might have suggested backing off.  I would suggest in the future that language to the effect that the decision to race is up to the skipper of the boat might be included in any announcements about the race. 

I was very happy with MY decision until the knockdown and only really got worried when we were approaching the channel and started seeing powerful cloud to ground lightning less than two miles away.  Later on, the magnitude and intensity of the overhead lightning indicated the massive amounts of energy in the meeting of cold front and the remnants of our heat wave.

I would suggest a review of the policy regarding these races by the GBCA leadership. All of us have seen storm waves run through early of an evening then clear out, but perhaps there is something to be said for a safety first policy.  If nothing else, a strong suggestion about PFD's under unsettled weather situations...

I am not sure what we would have done if a man-overboard situation had happened shortly after the knockdown, but it would not have been pretty!!! And whoever went into the water might have been there a while.

John Butler
Millennium Express

Jeff K

So John, are you saying that if you were the GBCA fleet captain, you would have called the race?

Sounds and looks like some people got caught with their pants down and sails up, while other people pulled their sails down before the infamous invisible storm hit, 2/3rds into the race.

Speaking of safety, what in the hell is that guy doing standing on your bow pulpit? That doesn?t look safe!

I can personally tell you that the fleet captain is always in a no win position. Race, no race, postpone, shorten course, change course, anything you do is going to make someone upset. IMHO: The only other job worse than the fleet captain is being a phrf board member. You can?t even go out to eat dinner without someone bitching about their rating but that?s for another topic.

John, if the fleet captain would have mentioned over the radio, that the responsibility to race or not is the skippers or please wear your pfd?s, change ANYTHING that you did Saturday night?

Jeff
Who wasn't on the vang?

Big John

Jeff FYI
The guy "standing" on the bow was setting up a halyard and was there about 5 seconds and it was before the gust hit.  And he said later that he was very glad he was not up there 60 seconds later. 

If someone had mentioned that PFD's were probably a good idea in this unsettled weather, I probably would have had mine on.  (but my case is a little special)

As for second guessing the fleet captain, I leave that up to you.  But it would have been a much sadder day if someone had gotten hurt more than the cost of a few sails or lines in a basically meaningless race.

John

Jeff K

I'm with you John, I wouldn't ever want to see anyone get hurt! Aren't all sailboat races pretty much meaningless in the big scheme of things? I personally wouldn?t take anymore risks in a rum race than I would in the Shoe regatta.

I think your missing my point which is, I just don?t think it?s the fleet captain?s responsibility for everyone?s safety that races. I (and the rules) think it remains with the skipper and crew!

Unless you get my point and just don?t agree with it and I?m good with that too. Let?s be careful out there!
Who wasn't on the vang?