2011 HYC Womens Regatta on 7/30-31

Started by ChrisK, July 13, 2011, 11:41:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrisK

"Hi Chris,
Good to see you both yesterday.  Please mention the Womens Regatta on July 29 & 30 to all GBCA gals.  The NOR is up on the HYC website under Race & Regatta - Anne Lee"

From HYC Weekly E-mail blast:
The Women's Sailing Weekend is July 30-31 at HYC. This event is the combination of three regattas over one weekend. There is something for everyone - the two day PHRF 30+ Regatta for boats 30 foot long and longer; the Catherine Spiller Regatta on July 30; and the Women's Regatta on July 31. The PHRF 30+ and Catherine Spiller Regattas require a female to helm the boat but allow males to crew. The Women's Regatta requires skipper and crew to be female.  The Notice of Race for all three events is posted online

I found these pdf links to NORS/Registration so you don't have to dig through RN and pull your hair out.

On 7/30
PHRF 30+ Regatta NOR
PHRF 30+ Registration Link
Catherine Spiller Regatta NOR
Catherine Spiller Registration Link
On 7/31 (all female)
HYC Womens Regatta NOR
HYC Womens Registration Link

Past Commodore, 2010

ChrisK

The GBCA ladies do very well in this regatta.

Sundays event usually draws a healthy spectator crowd  8)

Hey Sailchick I counted 5 Vipers over in the HYC parking lot!
Hmmm....
Past Commodore, 2010

beverly

CALLING ALL WOMEN SAILORS!

Are you ready to take the helm for a weekend?  It's that time again - the annual HYC Women's Regatta Weekend is quickly approaching (July 30/31).  They seem to have the same affliction as the other clubs (GBCA included), where registrations are usually last minute. 

Here's some clarification on the weekend, in case you have any questions. They have 3 different options for your racing pleasure - a 2-day 30'+ race, a 1-day women at the helm race, and a 1-day all female crew race (the one day races are either spin or non-spin, your choice).

I've registered in the 30'+ class.  The 30+ regatta is a PHRF race, so you can either go SPIN or Non-SPIN, with the corresponding rating.  The 30+ race is both Saturday and Sunday, with a crew requirement of a female at the helm with the total crew being 60% female (that gives us the option of having a couple of cabana boys to make us drinks).

If your schedule doesn't allow 2 days of racing, you have the option of the Saturday race (the Catherine Spiller Regatta), open to spin and non-spin, with the perpetual going to the fastest spin boat, female helm, any mix you want on the crew.  If Sunday is your only option, they have the Women's Regatta, also for spin and non-spin, with all female crew.

So see, they have something for everyone - in boat selection, crew selection and schedule.

I'd obviously like to have other GBCA gals take their own boats, or ask some of our other skippers that you all crew for throughout the year to turn over the reins for a weekend and show what you've all learned under their guidance.

Let's support the HYC women's racing program, sign up early, come out for a great weekend.  The weather forecast is sunny and hot....super soakers encouraged aboard Shaken Not Stirred.

DollFin

Does anyone know if they've cancelled this regatta? Nothing is coming up for registered entries.

Work out those sailing knots!
Sea of Tranquility Therapeutic Massage
713 408-0444

Sailchick

I got an email from Beverly saying that it WAS postponed.

See below:

Ladies, the HYC Women?s Regatta scheduled for this Saturday/Sunday has been postponed.  Anne Lee is hoping that by moving this to a later weekend, we can avoid any possible weather issues, but more importantly get a larger turnout from some of the other women in our local sailing community.  I?m hoping we can help along those lines.

She?ll be looking at the other club calendars (HYC, LYC, and GBCA) to try and find a nice weekend where we can make this a truly spectacular event, with participation in all fleets.

Weather permitting Anne and some of the other J/22?s are going to race around on Clear Lake Saturday and Sunday, and plan on meeting at the Beachcomber Saturday evening for beer, margs, pizza, and just a general good time.  Please feel free to contact her if you?re interested in either sailing (her email is above), or just meet up at the Beachcomber around 6 on Saturday.

GBCA Past Past Commodore 2013

DollFin

I'd be interested - we need j22 practice anyhow, but I don't see Ann's email anywhere on here.

Work out those sailing knots!
Sea of Tranquility Therapeutic Massage
713 408-0444

beverly

Anne's email is annlan at comcast dot net.   8)

beverly

Latest update on the gals from GBCA - a few of us (KarenP, KathyR and me) met up with the HYC gals for some wonderful beverages on Saturday evening at the Beachcomber.  We had all originally planned on racing and drinking, so since the racing was cancelled we had no other option but to continue with the drinking portion of our agenda.  After a few of Anne Lee's secret original Jamaican Rum Punches, and mojitos, wine and beer, etc - we decided we should all meet at 1:00 between #1 and #2 and race around the Icicle series marks on whatever boat we wanted to, take our times when we finished, and figure out who was the fastest.  We had about 22 guys and gals on 4 boats out enjoying the afternoon, plus the Bez's and crew taking photos from Be Easy, and a down-to-the-wire finish for Picante (Anne), Shaken Not Stirred (yours truly at the helm), and Big D (Killer Karen Penrose).  The three of us finished in a 5 minute window.  After all our PHRF adjustments, Karen finished in the top spot, whooping all of us (beat me by less than 2 minutes).  CONGRATULATIONS KAREN! 

We finished the evening over at our boat with some rum toasts to Karen and her trusty crew Dave. 

Keep your eyes open for a rescheduled Women's Regatta over at HYC, later in the year when it's a bit cooler maybe.  So start working on your boat options now - Ensigns, J/22, J/24, J/80, Vipers - no reason why we can't have a bunch of big one-design fleets.

Respectfully submitted,
Beverly Caldwell (1st place loser)  8)