SOS:
1. French Connection
2. Selah
3. Mental Floss

Non-spin:
Dolcetto

JayZ

Jim,

I believe CHIRON The Waquiez 47 also finished in nonspin.  They sailed right by us and finished under full sail after we abandonded the race.  I think they finished around 7:45 -pretty sure that is behind Dolcetto.

Jay Zittrer
s/v BANJO GIRL

Gladden

Jim,
Chiron (a Wauquiez Centurion 42, new in town) sailing non spin did finish Rum Race #4 at 7:45 pm.  No other non spin boats were there.  Due to lighting, and no boats undersail comming in behind us in view, we returned to the slip and weather kept us from the party.  My crew ask that I request that you include our dramatic finnish in relation to the other non spin finnisher(s).
Thanks.
Greg Gladden

George E Cushing

Hi Jim,

That may be what looked like a Yawl that was considerably ahead of us at the first mark, that we never saw again. I think we finished around 8:09, although I am not certain of the time at the line looking at the GPS data. We were about 10 minutes late to the start.

I fully understand the skipper not wanting to linger at the line. We felt the same way. Please adjust the finish sequence as necessary.

George
Dolcetto

George E Cushing

Greg,

What was your start time?

George

Ed

It would seem there were at least three of us nonspin types finished race #4 Moonlight Mile (Ketch some remember seeing out front at the first mark) finished at 20:37 or 8.37pm. I think this would give us third place and points if that adjustment could be made we would appreciate it.

Ed Lowrie

S/V Moonlight Mile (Pearson 365 Ketch).

Jim Powers

I am going to vacate the results of the 4th Rum Race for the non-spin class since there is doubt about who finished in which position. As you know, the SI require that the first boat must record the sail numbers of the next four boats in the class in order to receive points for first place. It appears that no boat did that (for very understandable reasons), but I believe the fairest resolution for all participants is to change the results for the non-spin class to show that no boats finished.

Jim Powers

GBCA Fleet Captain

KevinBednar

Ed

For the ones who stayed the course & weathered the storm regardless of the conditions it would seem a little harsh to not get the points for finishing.

One would think gentleman?s honor and good sportsmanship could declare the following from finish times alone. Unless other finishers chime in I would think the results are as follows;

Chiron       1st place    finish time 19:45
Dolcetto       2nd place    finish time 20:09
Moonlight Mile    3rd place    finish time 20:37

Did Spin & Solo first place boats stay and count off finishers?

Ed
S/V Moonlight Mile

Charles

Quote from: Ed on July 30, 2009, 07:35:19 AM
For the ones who stayed the course & weathered the storm regardless of the conditions it would seem a little harsh to not get the points for finishing.

One would think gentleman?s honor and good sportsmanship could declare the following from finish times alone. Unless other finishers chime in I would think the results are as follows;

Chiron       1st place    finish time 19:45
Dolcetto       2nd place    finish time 20:09
Moonlight Mile    3rd place    finish time 20:37

Did Spin & Solo first place boats stay and count off finishers?

Ed
S/V Moonlight Mile
Yes
Moi Verstehe Nada,
Char-les

sailorjohnny

I have to say that Island Time was out there and the weather was less than desirable and getting worse but, there were boats hanging around and taking names. My opinion is that if you can't stick around and take names then either the weather is too bad for everyone or one hopes that they can brow beat the committee into believing that each can finish whenever and email their opinion of the finishers in. There are rules for a reason. Let's play by them.

KevinBednar

I'd hope that any owner who felt the conditions were risky or that his presence at the channel entrance might put others at risk would head back to the barn and settle for a little ribbing at the party afterwards.

I know Stinger didn't hang around to finish the other boats racing with sea anchors deployed.

Ed

Just a couple of casual observations:

Some boats do better than others in various conditions, my boat a Pearson 365 Ketch, is I know not a thoroughbred racer but in heavy air she will lift her skirts and show her stuff. We were the first boat around the first mark in all classes, however as the wind dropped and we are unable to point we lost ground to almost every boat in every class during the second leg (not unexpected but we do try our best).

I think the statement:
?can't stick around and take names then either the weather is too bad for everyone? is not an accurate statement it may be too rough for some but not for all!

When just off the second mark and the weather picked up, we had lots of fun, we were able to shorten sail as appropriate for the conditions, and were able to finish the race within the allotted time constraints.

I agree we should always play by the rules, I also agree we should air on safety at all times, I am however a little unsure where in the rules; that I am required to forfeit my finish because I was not counted! Maybe you can enlighten me and prove my ignorance.

I am sure with almost absolute certainty that Moonlight Mile did not finish in first place for her class, there were sail boats without Spinnakers that were ahead of us, and because no other boats behind us were sailing, we did not count motorboats at the finish.

I will reiterate that some three boats all declared finish times stated as approximate by some, but with reasonable separation, in a gentleman?s court should account for something, if we cannot be trusted to declare our finish then how and why should be trusted to start on time.

Ed
S/V Moonlight Mile.

Christopher

From the SI's

IX. Finishing
The first yacht in each class to cross the finish line will be the winner of the class and be required to record the next 4 places by recording the boat name and or sail numbers. The finishing information then must be presented to the race chairman at the social event following the race. Remember, to score a first place, a yacht must both cross the finish line first and record the next four finishers.

So, if the actual first to finish does not stick around to take names and submits none; does the next boat that does finish and does stick around to take names to be submitted, then become first place and the offical record. or is no finish order recorded.  What happens for the second, third, forth and fifth place boats  ??? who are not expecting to take names.  No other recourse is given in the SI's.

Just a suggestion... :-\
Mahalo nui loa

KevinBednar

There was no first place boat to stick around and take finishes in the Non Spin class.

It's all in the rules.