2011 J/Fest Southwest - Registration Available

Started by DwightB, August 23, 2011, 08:58:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DwightB

Jonsey

Is the rumor true?  That you guys are opening this up to all bay sailors in an effort to promote the sport of sailing.   Vipers, Beneteau's, OD 35's and the like? 

Good on ya Jboats, and LYC!!    Should be one heck of a party. 

BoomerangJ

Nope rumor isn't true!  Saving the other 51 weekends out of the year for the other events.  But in regards to promoting the sport of sailing JBoatsSouthwest has done the following this year:

>sponsored the High School nationals in May at AYC.  Paid for the saturday night rock band and subsidized the barbecue dinner.  High School teams from all over the nation came and raced.  Lots of fun!

>Sponsored the J/24 Nationals at DCYC in May as a cash sponsor and sponsor in kind with commemorative DVD's for all of the racers and a promotional video.

>Sponsored the Dillon Open Regatta in Colorado as a cash sponsor. 

>Brought in J/World Annapolis with discounted local training for anyone that wants to sharpen their racing skills.  (We will be doing this again in 2012)

>Cash sponsor for the FWBC 'Ol Man of the Sea regatta this year.

>Made sizable donation to a youth sailing fund at AYC.

>Advertiser in the GBCA Cannon.

>Sent out calendars to active racers for regional events.  (Costs about $2k to do this)

>Send out a monthly newsletter to whoever wants it promoting local events.

Worked with the HYC, GBCA, and LYC YC's on promoting a schedule of events that is conducive to bring all sailors down to the Southwest to participate in any of the great regatta's that we have in the DFW area, Austin, Galveston Bay, and Dillon, Colorado. 

All in all I think we are doing a lot to promote the sport of sailing, and not just for J/Boat owners.  I very much appreciate that LYC called and asked me if they could put on this event and the J/Fest committee members over there are working hard to make it a great success. 

All in all I think JBoatsSouthwest is doing more then any other brand to promote sailing. We hope that everyone gets a boat they enjoy and comes out and play in the many events to choose from over the course of the year.  In the meantime I hope the Viper fleet opens up that Viper Nationals to all boats when they host that event.  It would be great to open up that weekend to all of the other boats and really make a spectacular regatta out it.  At least invite all of the sport boats.  As you are aware the number one sport boat in the world is the J/80 with over 1400 sold!  I'm sure the J/80's would love to attend that event!  let us know!  In the meantime tell me what other dealer/brand has done more for sailing? 

Jonsey

BTW, there is no viper "nationals". 

No worries scott, Lemay's talked me into flying balloons in clear lake that weekend.   So either you guys are going to have good weather, or we are.

BoomerangJ

IMHO what all sailors/racers-no matter what the brand-need to work on if showing the positive side of the sport.  Who cares about what events that sailors put together and participate in as long as they are fun! There's something for everyone and plenty of weekends to schedule them.

Here's my fantasy:  Why not have all four clubs work together to put on a huge spring event?  The bay could support 4 or more circles.  We would need the infrastructure of LYC/HYC to support it-TCYC and GBCA have manpower. Yeah we would be limited to 7' and under draft boats-but why can't a Bay event be as big as CRW?  We could handle 200-300 boats. That would be a spectacle!

It would be way cool to have a party tent at Kemah Boardwalk-maybe somehow have the YC's revenue share on the food/alcohol sales.

Anyway-I'm stealing my own thread. So to get back on track: JBoat owners-sign up for J/Fest! In addition there are these great regatta's:  HYC One Design Regatta, GBCA BVA Compass Regatta, Oct 1-2,  Harvest Moon Regatta, J/Fest SW October 29, 30th.  North Texas people have 'Ol Man of the Sea-always a great time at FWBC!

Get those boats out on the water and come sail!