2011 Wurstfest Regatta 11/4-6 and 11/11-13

Started by ChrisK, September 14, 2011, 07:38:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrisK

Wurstfest is always a blast, and you can camp on site, at Lake Canyon Yacht Club
http://www.wurstfestregatta.com/

The first weekend is board/centerboard boats, the second weekend keel boats and multis.

The launch ramp is intimidating if you're a keel boat...but they have volunteers to help (launch early)

Speaking of ramps and water levels...

Hi Chris,
Canyon Lake is down 8? from its normal pool level 0f 909? and is dropping about 3? per week, so by the time of the regatta the lake will be down another 2? or so if the rains don?t come. This actually is about 3-4? above the level we were at for the 2009 regatta (about 896?). The ramp at LCYC was permanently extended during the last drought and will not be an issue. Unlike Lake Travis, Canyon Lake is in pretty decent shape given the severity of the drought. The Corp Of Engineers has been very good at keeping outflows to a minimum, about 50-70 cfs.

We very much look forward to all you Houstonians competing in our 43rd Wurstfest Regatta!!

Best,
Ray Leubner
Commodore, LCYC
Past Commodore, 2010

Charles

Moi Verstehe Nada,
Char-les

Jonsey

Animal and most of the vipers are going.   Too much fun!

ChrisK

I wonder if they'll bring back the bus. Maybe if we ask them enough...
Past Commodore, 2010

ChrisK

*bump*
Hmm...no bus...dang it...

Looks like a few boats have signed up under the GBCA banner

Never been on a Day Sailor...this should be interesting...

I know how part of it is going to go...like every year, will probably do well in the start, have moments of greatness and even get in the lead, then sail into a giant hole that all the locals know about.
*sigh*
Gotta love that lake sailing!

Board boat weekend
http://www.regattanetwork.com/clubmgmt/applet_registrant_list.php?regatta_id=4072&custom_report_id=2

Keel boat weekend
http://www.regattanetwork.com/clubmgmt/applet_registrant_list.php?regatta_id=4071&custom_report_id=33

The volunteers at LCYC are great folks and really step up for this event, Wurstfest is just down the road, you can camp on site (or on your boat), and the water clarity is about as good as it gets in Texas.
The only negative is the ramp...watching the fixed keel boats launch/pull out is a spectacle to behold, but if you're prepared with the proper fishing gear and keel guides, you can do it
Past Commodore, 2010

Jonsey

Animal will be there both weekends!  This weekend we will be discuised as a centerboar skiff...  had a buddy send me a centerboard he had for the viper.  So - 200lbs, - a draggy bulb + a single trap = woo wee... keep the pointy thing up and go fast! 

See everyone there!   Chris, when are you and MM going down?  This Friday afternoon?

ChrisK

If all goes well, looking like Friday afternoon arrival, rig boat, set tent (wx permitting), practice sail...
MM will be in H-town for 1st wknd but second wknd a possibility.
Past Commodore, 2010

Jonsey

Cool man, i'll track you down.  Also batch'in it.