Chili Chase Nov 7

Started by Bee, September 30, 2015, 08:10:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bee

I don't think Stinger has ever done this race.  Is this new or has it been done before? What is it and what's the format?

Bee

Charles explained that the details are not settled so I will wait until I see the NOR.

Brad

Maybe it is like the old Chili Cup - 1 afternoon chili cook-off and 1 day of fun racing.  Now those were the days!  Also had the Gumbo Cup.  There are posters at GBCA I think from these.  I know I still have one somewhere.

aj

Bee

Do we each bring our own chili?  Some fire breathing dragon breath chili?  Such chili is very very good.  Causes one to drink copious amounts of pevo.

Brad

I have no idea what this new race is all about. 

However in the old days some of us were serious about bringing the best chili and other opened the can and threw it in the pot so they met the rules of having a chili cook off entry.  Many teams dressed up in costume or as a teams for the cook off. 

Now racing the next day ... that was serious ..  Noooooo!  Too Much Fun!  Too Much Rum!

Bee

Rum machts man ein dumkopf.  Ja?

OOPS

Ron te hacen tonto.  Si?

Unfortunately I will not be there for this auspicious event.

Bob H

I don't have any details on the Chili side of this event, but I do have a NOR for the racing side. Similar format to the Spring regattas in the past.
https://www.regattanetwork.com/clubmgmt/regatta_uploads/11347/2015FallNOR.pdf

Registration is open:
https://www.regattanetwork.com/clubmgmt/applet_registration_form.php?regatta_id=11347

And no, if you've uploaded a PHRF certificate for a race earlier this year you do not need to do so again.

JA

Bob is the format going to be similar to the Saint Patrick Day race we did back in 2014?  If I remember is was a star course and was a great race.  Had all kinds of weather and wind conditions for the race. Not your typical rum race course! 8)

Christopher

The plan for the race is the "Star" pattern distance course that was so popular (or a shorter course if winds are light) with pursuit start.

For the Chili party.  The idea was to bring back the chili cook-off and race series GBCA used to run back in the day.  Since there are so many events already on the schedule, we didn't want to make a series out of it (yet), but see if we can have a one fun day of race and chili cook-off, combined in the same weekend. 

The details of the scoring and judging haven't been worked out, but the idea is for race competitors to also submit a chili entry.  But, others who don't race may want to enter the cook-off.  So, there will be a race winner, a cook-off winner and possibly an combined overall winner.   This is not meant to be a professional cook-off, just another way to have fun. 

You may be asking how do the boats race and cook chili on the same day?  Well this might be easier for the cruising class boats who have the amenities on board, but a challenge for the performance boats without a galley.  So, it might be a logistics challenge for many.  Hint - Everyone knows that chili tastes better the second time around, so you can make it the day before and bring the cook-off to be warmed up.  GBCA has a brand new microwave and a couple of crock pots.  Or, you can bring your own. 

For the cook-off, competitors are not expected to serve the masses.  GBCA will provide chili and fixin's, accompanied by the usual libations for the après race party.  Chili cook-off competitors need only provide enough of their competition chili entry for 10-20 judges (other skippers or board members) to have a sample tasting.  The tasting and judging will be during the après race party leading up to the awards.
Mahalo nui loa

Bee

Dang nabit I thought this was guiane to be one of them thangs that I would just really like and crap, I can't be thar.  However, do not fear, Stinger will be thar in some form or the other.

BTW, that star course is one of my all time favorites.

JA

Thanks Chris for the information!  Team Tenacious is looking forward to the race and cook-off!  I understand that putting empty cans of Wolf Chili by your competitors chili pots is grounds for being kicked out of the cook-off! 8)

Bee

How long's it been since you had a hot steaming bowl of Wolf brand chili. Well that's too long.

Bob H

Per discussions at the board meeting last Tuesday, the Notice of Race has been updated.
https://www.regattanetwork.com/clubmgmt/regatta_uploads/11347/2015FallNOR.pdf
Chili entries will be brought to the post race party on November 7th.
There will be two chili prizes:
-Entrants who sailed in the regatta
-All Chili entrants regardless of their sailing status in the regatta.

Entrants are requested to bring enough Chili for sampling by a maximum of 10 judges to be appointed by the Commodore or his delegate.

Thanks,
Bob H

Stellar of Course

Stellar of Course will be there if i can put a crew together, Nov 7th is opening day of deer season. This is a major holiday in Texas.

Ron E