Let's Sail Anyway!

Started by Windward SeaVenture, October 21, 2015, 07:34:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Windward SeaVenture

Due to the unexpected cancellation,  Windward SeaVenture is going to make lemonade out of lemons.  We are inviting all sailors to  an UNOFFICIAL race to sail around the rum race standard course starting 3 hours earlier than the GBCA normal start time.  See this link: https://www.regattanetwork.com/clubmgmt/regatta_uploads/2575/2015RumRaceSI.pdf This is simply for FUN because we are all here with plans to sail- so lets sail!!  There is no official prize and we will have an UNOFFICIAL dock party BYOB at Waterford Harbor: Pier 3 at the completion of the race.

Bee

The Stinky boat will be there.

Windward SeaVenture

This is for tomorrow 10/22/15

Christopher

Great idea!
If it's raining for the after party, we can move over to the GBCA lounge.
Mahalo nui loa

Stellar of Course

Stellar of Course will be there, I have room for one more crew if anyone needs a ride.

Ron E

Kevin Bednar

Simply find your start time on the standard GBCA Rum Race racing instructions as linked above and subtract three hours to find your start time.  Then race the "Standard" course as described in the instructions. (Not the "Reverse" course.)

This is not a GBCA sanctioned event, there is no organizing authority, no redress, no prizes, etc. 

Show up afterwards at the Windward Seaventure office at Waterford Harbor and or the GBCA clubhouse with whatever you'd like to drink and eat.  If the party isn't at one, it's probably at the other.

This is an excellent opportunity to shed any perishables that you'd planned to use on the way down to Port Aransas.

SeaGypsy

Sea Gypsy's crew decided last night to do this impromptu race.  See you there.

But I misgivings about this whole fiasco.  Looking at the weather forecast again this morning, I'm not sure why we are not cruising to Port A, in the absence of a race there. 

I appreciate that the organizers of any race are at liberty to postpone or cancel the race for any reason, or without reason. It's their race.  However, as Captain, I bear the full responsibility for the decision to sail.  I am free to sail wherever and whenever I want having due concern for the safety of the boat and crew.

Terry Young

Great sailing today, I was on FireWater and had a blast, and counted over twenty boats out there, and had some great hot dogs at the GBCA club house after the race, many thanks to the cook. Saw some photos I believe were from todays race on the clubhouse TV hope they get posted, GBCA is a great cub, they really step up when needed, and glad to be a member.

SeaGypsy

Great wind today!  Sea Gypsy's crew had a great sail and there were two parties!  Hot dogs and rum over at Windward Sea Venture as well as GBCA.
CJ
s/v Sea Gypsy

Bee

Looking at all the forecasts this morning, those folk who either sailed or drove down appear to have made the proper decision.  Even the ride back looks to be OK by tomorrow.  :(

Bee

Oh, the way back is not necessarily going to be pleasant, but this is what the rain down there looks like now.

Bee

OK, Ed:

From Karen Penrose in PA

Oh yeah, they made the right call to cancel the race. The trip home sure wouldn't have been fun. Looking at 40-50kt north winds in the morning right as everyone would be trying to get their boats out of here.