Kattack Rum Race Test

Started by Bee, July 08, 2012, 01:26:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bee

I would like to run a Kattack Test for RumRace #5. 

I have access to the Kattack Publisher which allows me to "publish" a race so that all can view what's going on.
You will get to see your boat speed and position as well as those of the rest of the fleet.

To show up on the Kattack system you will need a Kattack Tracker.  You can buy an iPhone/iPad and/or Android app
that accomplishes this little feat for $10.  (Note, I get no financial benefit out of this)

Once you have the app, start it up and go to the boat name page:

1.  Enter your boat name on the boat name page
2.  Go to the feed list and select J105 Fleet 17
3.  Enter the password turkey (all lower case)
4.  Go to the map page and see if you show up.  If you do, you are online.
5.  Go to the status page and see if any points have been uploaded.  If they have, you are online.
6.  On Saturday, don't forget to start the Kattack app before you start. In 105 circles, I am famous for not doing this so don't be a Bee.

The app tends to drain the battery so the later you start it the better.
Its best if you have the phone on a charger but you have to balance this
with the fact that the phone also needs to "see" the satellites.

After the race I will do my best to publish the race so we can view it at the clubhouse after the race.
In spite of the fact that I am pretty much a computer geek, I have a bit of a problem with the setup so
don't get too angry if I don't get it done Saturday evening.  I will eventually publish and give everyone the link.
I will also begin the download/publish process when I get to the clubhouse so don't get too angry if your boat
does not make the feed because I started before you finished.

Also, I would like some idea of who is going to do this and your start time before the race.  This will make
selecting the start and finish times much easier. Send the info to me at bednarb at 3dbee dot com with a subject
line of Kattack.

Hamburg, Stinger, Infinity, and someone called Observer (whomever you are) tried this for RumRace 4.
For some reason Hamburg had no points during the race window (5:20-8:00) that I set up but you can see
Stinger and Infinity battle it out.

http://www.kattack.com/webplayer/?raceGUID=ce2ecf86-c717-4ad7-ab44-242a2670959d

Bee

With no takers, I will set the start time at 5:20 and the finish time at 8:00 PM.  It would appear that the winds on Saturday may not let even the fastest boats finish so will see what I get on Saturday evening.

Hamburger

I'll set up mine, Bee. Thanks for taking care of this!!

Bee

OK, confused.  Only Shaken and Stinger show up on this one.  For some reason the marks don't show up either but if you switch to make mode you can see where the boats are as then run.

http://www.kattack.com/webplayer/?raceGUID=210b4d86-eb91-42ae-86f1-0c652eb3b962

Going to go back one more time and see if I can figure out why Hamburgler is not there.

s/v Amenah

Bee, the course marks appear to be in Tibet. I assume your coordinates for longitude were set to "E" rather than "W"?

Bee

AHH.  That might explain it.  I can check that and correct it.  Thanks

Bee

Indeed, the Kattack Publisher requires negative numbers for W, so if you put positive numbers in you get E.  I'm so used to entering only positive number in my GPS that I did not recognize this as an issue.

Will republish shortly.

Bee

ChrisK

Past Commodore, 2010

Hamburger

Quote from: Bee on July 15, 2012, 03:18:28 PM
OK, confused.  Only Shaken and Stinger show up on this one.  For some reason the marks don't show up either but if you switch to make mode you can see where the boats are as then run.

http://www.kattack.com/webplayer/?raceGUID=210b4d86-eb91-42ae-86f1-0c652eb3b962

Going to go back one more time and see if I can figure out why Hamburgler is not there.

The Hamburgler didn't show up because he didn't switch his smart phone on - or was it his brain?

Bee

Your beginning to think like me.  Be careful I have a month or two on you.  In my case its explainable.  Not so sure in yours.

Sailchick

Bee -- Tango will be online for TRW!!
GBCA Past Past Commodore 2013

Bee

Bee