Best weather report?

Started by thomas, July 05, 2010, 12:54:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BJSailor

Absolutely good words Bee.  I think all of us learned to sail at the elbow of a mentor (or two or three, or twelve).  The key is that you got out and did it - you went sailing and were willing to learn over time.  Those of us who got the bug and wanted to learn more spent our time reading some of the books you mentioned (and others...).  We were (and are) hungry to learn.  We seek out sources of knowledge that will expand our skill set and perfect those skills / knowledge through practical application.  Whether it is weather or sailing, any area of expertise we've chosen to become more skilled in took time, learning, observation, and lots of practice.

Thomas, it's unfortunate that you've chosen to take my post so negatively.  I would hope that you might find some sources that will expand your general knowledge of weather as well as the experience and practice of learning our local conditions.  Web sites are great for seeing what's happening now, knowledge and experience will tell you what will likely happen once you've made that long drive down to the water for the specific area (Clear Lake, Red Fish, Morgans Point, Galveston - they'll all be different!!!).

As a suggestion on a very related topic...  Knowing the local weather patterns are one thing, but getting good at reading the microconditions of shifts and gusts and what geographic features modify the local wind and how it will be modified is something most good sailors can do almost instinctively once they've sailed in a local area for an extended period.  One thing we all learn when we go to a different venue to race is to spend some time talking with a local sailor to get their knowledge of the local secrets.  The Red Bluff Shift, the Wednesday Night Point on Clear Lake, when the sea breeze fills and how to tell when and where - these are a few of the major micro"features" of our local conditions. 

Relax and enjoy the fact that sailing is an activity that involves so many disciplines that we can spend our lifetimes learning.  We should always strive to be experts, but we will have to accept that we will never be more than amateurs:-)
There are 10 types of people in this world - those that understand Binary, and those that don't.

Charles

Really an intelligent response, Thomas.  Good luck on getting help now.
Charles
Moi Verstehe Nada,
Char-les

Kevin Bednar

Quote from: thomas on July 08, 2010, 07:56:43 PM
why do you even question why someone is asking for help. why not just help, or go the hell on about your business? oh, you're trying to be helpful?  thanks for your offer of a solution but please, don't bother, I found the solution I was seeking, there's a f_____g sensor on top of the damn bridge. ok, so it doesn't work right now so i guess I'll just do without the information I need while i do everything you suggested i do, and drop all the other conflicting priorities I have even though all i f_____g really would like to do is a little dingy sailing after driving an hour and a half to get there. i don't understand someone not willing to help someone out, especially when it is no sweat off their ass as in this case. maybe your ass is sweating a lot contemplating all the damn people and their entitlements (I've been worrying about that too), and you really can't spare any more sweat and don't want to risk another drop. you know, I'd pretty much give you or whoever the shirt off my back if you actually asked me for it, and i would feel good that I helped another person. perhaps you and I are different in that sense. I take a particular pleasure in being able to do something for someone to help them along the path they're on after spending lots of years not giving a f_____g rats ass and taking from people around me. I'm sure you could teach me a lot about weather and sailing and judging by your response to my post, I suspect there a few things I could teach you as well. it's a good thing the majority of the sailors I have met at the GBCA don't come across like your response. the GBCA as a whole would be a lot less of a decent organization otherwise.

Thomas, you've stepped way beyond the bounds of common courtesy here.  Please do not force me to ban your account.  

thomas

well, before I read all these replies, i'll just come right out and apologize for my post. I don't think it was very respectful, regardless of anything else. I don?t know you BJ, and my cussing in the reply was not directed specifically at you so please excuse me for the lack of class. For me the fact of the matter is that through the GBCA, and all the sailors like you?re your self that have been doing it that way for years, I have been on a sailboat for all the major regattas, on the rum races, and done the Wednesday night races this year. I have pretty much been sailing every weekend this year that I have wanted to be on a boat. I sincerely appreciate. I know that without people like you, BJ, and the other people at the GBCA that have been doing what you?ve been doing for years, this would not have been possible for me without my going and buying my own boat. It has pretty much blown me away just how decent and nice the people I have met at the GBCA have turned out to be. I know that everything you said in your post, regardless of how you said it, is true and the fact that I realize now that I could have been down there with all of you doing just what you suggested instead of focusing on the things I have focused on?well, your comment on that touched a raw nerve with me. I don?t appreciate people that do not treat others with respect when they deserve it, and I regret my own failure in this regard.  sincerely

thomas

actually, in hindsight, your post BJ was exactly what i needed to hear. since I plan to sail foreign waters, i need to know about weather much more than just casually, and i'm wasting valuable time when i could be doing things to work towards my goal. i will take your advice, and start studying.

Seeing as how i'm really just a guy looking for some TIT (time in transit) as crew on other peoples boats until I'm ready to move onto my own boat, everything I can do to get ready for the day will serve me well. you're advice is appreciated.

I'm going to check out a couple of the other books, a manual of sail trim, and the sailors wind. i figure knowing how to trim sails would come in handy, and it will probably be good to know more about sailors wind as i already have a problem with that, and being confined in small quarters...well you get the picture.  thanks for your understanding...

thomas

i checked out the sailors wind by Stuart Walker and ordered it along with the manual of sail trim. looks like exactly what i need.

you know, if any you ever wanted teach a class on weather, i'd be one of the paying students. you could get a metrologist to come, make it a multi day class spread out over however many sessions it took to cover what you wanted to cover whether it is one sessions or more, with the objective to give a introduction to all the basics or whatever you wanted to do. 

you could charge enough to cover you time and the value of your knowledge, purchase some snacks, and something for the GBCA overhead. you'd probably have as many students as were at the racing seminar.  i suspect it would be packed. you could probably even find/purchase/acquire a powerpoint presentation and use that with your knowledge to be able to explain it and there you go. a sailors introduction of weather and the wind.  seems like in the dead of winter would be a good time although on some evenings even now, I'd find the time.  of course, even in the dead of winter, I'll be out chasing some TIT (time in transit) but even so, for that class, I'll be there.

something to consider...

ChrisK

Please play nice. 

Sailors are natural weather junkies, and many of us probably spend a disproporate amount of time (and bandwidth) studying the overwhelming amount of information available, wanting to keep our crews safe, and looking for that edge on the race course.

Some of the shared info might be repetitive for old salts and locals who live close enough to paradise and lucky enough to make their own daily observations.  Keep in mind that nearly half of the GBCA membership live and work many miles away from the bay!

There is new information available all the time (like the HYC weather station being online, yey! then offline, boo!), wind and current models, aviation forecasts that hundreds of lives count on, everything from supercomputers down to $100 weather stations are all tied into Skynet...err...the wonderful world wide web. 
We have some fantastic weather tools available today.

Of course, there are mountains of books and periodicals on the topic, several that Bee mentioned, that are an excellent foundaton and worth the read.  The information just might save your bacon someday if you spend alot of time on the water or punching holes in the sky.

It's always good to hear feedback on what works for local sailors while always keeping in mind that: "your actual results may vary"  I hope this GBCA forum will continue to be one of the tools to do that. 

Now that the rain has cleared (hopefully), I'm sure I'm not the only one wishing they were out on Galveston Bay experiencing the weather, in person, on this beautiful day. 

Until I get my Rum Race fix tomorrow, this nifty bayside webcam/weatherstation will just have to do:
http://www.nichtberger.com/camera.html
Past Commodore, 2010

JASpithill

Pretty strong and inappropriate words Thomas.  Based on my recollection of the one and only time you were on my boat you haven't taken the time to advance your sailing knowledge on your own an awful lot during the past several years.  I recommend the webmaster remove Thomas's Reply #15 from the site and if there is a reoccurrence, remove Thomas.

JASpithill

Thomas Reply #13, not #15 as referenced in the previous post.

thomas

sorry sir, but you don't know what you're talking about as far as what I have done or not done in the past several years. i have spent over a thousand dollars on sailing education this year alone. i have five different ASA certifications to prove it. this year. not to mention purchasing expensive gear and electronics so that i am a valuable crew member for those needing good, experienced crew. with a damn good attitude, i would add. ask anyone i've crewed for.  millennium, zippity, parrot tales, chris K, hell i can't think of them all.  i don't know you and don't know that I've crewed for you. you may be mistaking me for someone else. 

i find it funny that you're going to recommend to remove my post when there are posts on here talking about doggy styling GBCA positions. think about what you're saying. this is a blog sir, for adults, we all drink, we all have bad days, we all let our mouths overload our asses form time to time, and this website is the better for it because when we overload our asses here and act inappropriately, the community spanks us. when we get spanked by those whom are our peers, we get an attitude adjustment. it serves the local sailing community well.

i stated my regret for my actions. i sincerely stated my position. that should be sufficient to let the matter go given what it was, and move on. it is in my world. 

Bee

Come on guys.  Cool down.  Mistake made, apology made.  If you continue this will begin to sound like Sailing Anarchy Forums. 

Let's focus on learning, sailing, and having fun.

thomas

hey just for the record, i checked the link, and I have never been on your boat. you've got me confused with someone else.  as i'm still out here begging rides, please be careful what you say about me. i've got enough of a problem accounting for my misbehaving without having to also account for someone that you've got me confused with.

and for the record, i don't have a problem with deleting the post when i've disrespected someone that was trying to help me out. if i was moderating i wouldn't but i don't care. i was just trying to point out that it is of benefit to have an open forum.  it serves the community well. and sometimes it is interesting reading.  cheers to you all....

BJSailor

OK Everyone, take two steps back.

It looks like I helped start this s**t fight and it's High Time it stopped!

Thomas, no offense taken.  As I said, it's unfortunate you misinterpreted my post as being hostile and critical.  My intent was exactly what (in the end) happened - spark your interest to learn.  A questioning mind is fertile.  Get a "jones" to learn about weather and soak up everything you can.  Read, read, read...  Use the internet as a learning resource.  Talk with the local sailors (those that are still speaking to you - LOL) and pick their brains.  Also consider that this is NOT Sailing Anarchy - 'nuff said.

If everyone wants to continue this thread and continue bashing, you run the risk of having this thread deleted - you've been warned three times now.
There are 10 types of people in this world - those that understand Binary, and those that don't.

Kevin Bednar

Thomas and Brian, I appreciate your posts.  I was up late last night and reacted to Brian's post and the three F bombs in Thomas' post and the general direction the thread seemed to be taking.  If El Diablo doesn't have a problem with you m********rs then I don't either. 

Thomas, if you want to edit your post you should be able to do that by clicking on the link on the post.  If you don't want to edit it, don't.  It's really not that big of a deal.

Trent

Is this the meaning of karma?