Best weather report?

Started by thomas, July 05, 2010, 12:54:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thomas

yeah, no big deal. all of it helped me so thank you.

Chuck

I think a point was brought up in this discussion that needs to be addressed.  I tried, back-handedly, to address this a couple of years ago when someone made some racially degoratory comments.  However, I will be straight forward this time.  From the best of my knowledge, this a public forum.  Meaning any sailor, mother, or child, in basically the world, can read these discussions without being a member or signing in.  Personally, I see this discussion board as an ambassador to anyone that may be interested in getting into sailing or may be from elsewhere and looking to come here for some top competition.  Hopefully, we can all be GBCA Ambassadors to the world each time we post.

STuma

Quote from: BJSailor on July 08, 2010, 06:03:26 PM
Why is it that folks feel entitled to be spoon fed answers rather than actually doing the work to gain knowledge and apply it?

Here's a solution for you - do what we've done for years around here.  Go outside, look at ths sky, pay attention to what the temperature, wind, clouds, etc. are doing.  Repeat every day (more often if you are awake and sober).
Read a book on weather.  Read a number of books on weather.  Study the past weather data and understand how it works.  Visit with a local meteorologist out of the NWS office in League City and ask his opinion on the weather - go back and talk with him a week/month later.  Talk with local sailors and try and understand what they have to say about the weather.  In other words - take the time and effort to LEARN.  You should quickly learn that the weather is not about what it's like outside now, it's about what's it like outside in 4 hours (or 12 hours, or 3 days...).

You won't learn anything about the weather by looking up the answers for the current conditions.  You will learn about weather by putting in some time and effort to learn the theory and local history / patterns.  It's kind of like sailing - reading a book just won't do it, TOT (time on the tiller) will.

I was more offended with BJ's response than "Thomas'" post... yea, Thomas should have taken a step back and clarified what he was looking for, or better, watched the language... I have found "this" attitude, on both parts, very common on GB... I have lost many crew over the years because they felt GB had an unwillingness to help new people.. Thomas, spending lost of money and certifications cannot beat on-the-water time...  just drive down, and go sailing no matter what the wind is... the best way to learn is to force yourself to sail in it...

BJ, how's that weather knowledge working for ya?  I have yet to meet you, or see you on the water, but it does not appear you have applied that weather knowledge to win many regattas... and to correct you, you can learn about weather by observing current conditions... hmm, wind is shifty @ 5 knots, no clouds... weather dude said there is a big H over Texas... maybe those all go together...

Thomas,  come out on the committee boat for Wed. nights and you will be able to experience all kinds of different patterns; also absorb a lot of knowledge from Buddy and John...

cheers...
Scott

BJSailor

Scot, that weather knowledge has actually worked out pretty well for me and those I've sailed and RC'd with over the years.  Yup, pretty well indeed.
I agree with you that direct observation is indispensable for judging the immediate conditions - if the rock is dry then it's nice, wet rock indicates rain, rock gone means hurricane:-)

Thomas, I'll encourage you to take Scot up on his offer.  You'll learn more than you ever wanted from this crew of extremely talented folks.
There are 10 types of people in this world - those that understand Binary, and those that don't.

thomas

I'm not racing this Wednesday night so I'll take you up on that.  Thanks for the offer. Let me know what kind of beer to bring and I'll load up enough for the boat.

Charles

Hmmmm BJ,
Guess you can post gooood stuff since no one knows who you are!!??   ;D ;D
Moi Verstehe Nada,
Char-les

thomas

i don't know about that. some people know who he is.

Charles

Moi Verstehe Nada,
Char-les

Bee

Tuma and Charles.  I am quite surprised that you do not know who BJ is.  You have both met him many times. Maybe you are just pulling our legs.

thomas

Karma Gia.  thats a good one.

Charles

Quote from: Bee on July 12, 2010, 07:42:19 PM
Tuma and Charles.  I am quite surprised that you do not know who BJ is.  You have both met him many times. Maybe you are just pulling our legs.
I have served on RC with Mr. BJSailor.  And, I would pull your leg, Bee, but you would enjoy it too much!
Moi Verstehe Nada,
Char-les

Kevin Bednar

Thanks guys.  I don't want to be stuck having to moderate this forum and this thread has turned back towards the positive so I assume I've dodged another bullet.

Does anyone have any objections to me leaving the posts as they are?

-Kevin Bednar GBCA Board member and GBCA discussion board slave.

thomas

thomas

FYI: I was able to order all three books used from A1 Books online:
a manual of sail trim
the sailors wind
high performance sailing

the cost was about $60. what a deal.

thanks for the suggestion....

thomas

actually, the cost was 48.83 delivered