Best weather report?

Started by thomas, July 05, 2010, 12:54:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrisK

I've had enough of the complaints, both on and off forum.

I'm asking the players involved in this thread to please remove the multiple f bombs from your posts and replace with "f*".
Your points will still be very well taken and the content will not be lost.

Of course, we are all for free speech and freedom of expression, but this thread has set a very poor precedent.
Sailors and are well known to cuss a few words, but we're beyond sailors: we're respectable yachtsmen and women. 

As shocking as this sounds, the "Corinthian spirit" is still a big part of our sport.  As mentioned earlier, we're all liaisions to the sport of yachting, GBCA and to the Galveston Bay racing scene. 
If cussing can get you in trouble with the race committee on the race course, then the same will apply to this forum

If you feel the need to cuss excessively to make your point, you run the risk of being booted from this forum.   

Finally, I would like to add there are plenty of other sailing forums on the web if you find it necessary to express yourself in such a manner.

Thank you,
Chris Kelley
GBCA Commodore
Past Commodore, 2010

thomas

there are no commands on my posts allowing me to edit or delete a post.  in the "help" section it states, " Further Modify and Delete options are normally provided to enable registered members to edit their own posts."  These commands are nit present on my posts.

STuma

Quote from: Bee on July 12, 2010, 07:42:19 PM
Tuma and Charles.  I am quite surprised that you do not know who BJ is.  You have both met him many times. Maybe you are just pulling our legs.

Bee,

Here lies a couple of problems I see... I feel the profile should give actual names seperate from the screen name... also, I have run across a few new sailors that have attended the social parties and never confronted from any of the "regulars"... they have told me they will not go back... I have asked BJ to introduce themself last time (when I perceived as a new comer)...  they have never come up and said, "... hey dork, BJ is me..." 

Chris, your right, the language is not needed and I believe Thomas has apoligized and attempted to modify it.. It seems there is some frustration from both ends... We need to take a step back and look at how the other person is perceiving our comments, or wants, and try to help them out.. I definatly don't support giving hand-outs, but lets teach em how to fish!!! It will come back to all of us..

cheers....
Scott
cheers...
Scott

Bee

Although some may think he is a she, I think everyone knows who Bee is.  Except for Sailing Anarchy, I have never felt the need to hide my identity.  Nevertheless, I can understand why some may feel differently so I don't agree that the actual name need be part of the moniker.

What I have learned from the current social attitudes in the US is that the kinds of things that have been quoted in this, and other threads on this site, should be held back by the authors.  One can argue that  if the true name was attached this would change, but I doubt it.

Kevin Bednar

I'm sorry Thomas, I was wrong.  You can't modify your own posts.  When the GBCA Board was finalizing details for setting up the forum they and I decided that allowing people to modify their posts would lead to people trolling the forum with abusive posts and then deleting their comments.  Of course, that would make a fool of anyone who replied to their abuse.

I'll go back and remove the f-bombs from the thread manually as Commodore Kelley has ordered. 

thomas

I'm sorry that you have to go back and clean up after me. Please excuse me. That will not happen again.

MaryM

"also, I have run across a few new sailors that have attended the social parties and never confronted from any of the "regulars"... they have told me they will not go back"

Scott - exactly what is this supposed to mean?  Just trying to understand with exactly who and why there would be a "confrontation" and why new people won't come back because they were "never confronted". 

STuma

Quote from: MaryM on July 14, 2010, 09:46:20 AM
"also, I have run across a few new sailors that have attended the social parties and never confronted from any of the "regulars"... they have told me they will not go back"

Scott - exactly what is this supposed to mean?  Just trying to understand with exactly who and why there would be a "confrontation" and why new people won't come back because they were "never confronted". 

It means that some of the new sailors aren't greeted and they do not feel accomodated... maybe "welcomed" should have been used instead of "confronted"... basically, talked to... If it sounded like I was suggesting there were confrontations, I apoligize...

There are some people that are masters of social interaction, but we need to realize there are many people that need some prodding and/or coaching...  I don't know the reasons only a small portion of the sailors attend the socials, this was my point last time to simply ask if there is something we, the entire community, can do the change and make it more appealing to them... Just trying to spark ideas and make GBCA "The place to Race", and party...
cheers...
Scott

MaryM

Thanks for the clarification Scott.  I agree that sometimes it can be a little intimidating for the new party comers - they are walking into a room of people, many of which have known each other for a very long time.  GBCA regulars all need to try and reach out to those new faces and get to know some new people.  Our clubhouse has been more jam packed than ever this year and it makes it very hard to mingle but everyone can make a point of introducing themselves to one new face at each event.  Who knows, you might end up with some new crew, learn something new or make a new friend!  Newcomers, it is a large, loud, crazy group - don't be afraid to wade in there and talk to someone from a boat that you recognize from the course - I think that you will find most everyone to be very friendly.  Tell those folks to come back again Scott, they come to a few parties and they will feel like regulars.

Charles

Quote from: MaryM on July 17, 2010, 08:34:05 AM
  Newcomers, it is a large, loud, crazy group - don't be afraid to wade in there and talk to someone from a boat that you recognize from the course - I think that you will find most everyone to be very friendly. 

I have been a member of GBCA for about three years, and attend most all the events.  There are still people I don't know and am not sure if they are members or not, so I think Mary's advice to the new people to lets us know that they are new is a great suggestion.  Send them to me...I'll talk to anybody!!!
Moi Verstehe Nada,
Char-les

ChrisA

Charles,

We're trying to make them comfortable. Don't scare them away! Seriously good points everybody. We've gained many new members this year, thanks to the hard work of the Board and the support of the membership. We rock!

aj

i nominate charles for the post of gbca social director   ;D
do i have a second?

Gringodave

hey ya'll I know its hot but gooolly Andy******
FYI the weather station at HYC is up And running except when the main house server backup mode shuts me down (when I'm not here) Also check the map on Weatherunderground. there is another station around Red Bluff.  I think you can reach it at nichtberger.com
this is HYC station actually mounted  at the harbor entrance on the water ( unaffected by land or buildings)
http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KTXSHORE1