HYC Turkey Day Regatta 2010

Started by sailfastliveslow, November 03, 2010, 12:08:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sailfastliveslow

Two weeks out and the registration's looking mighty thin.  You sailors there in Houston holding back on registration, or is this another sparsely attended event out of HYC?  Last year something like 60 boats competed.

JayZ

I may come out and sail the non spin distance race if it makes.  I hope to encourage a few friends to come out as well. 
Jay Zittrer
s/v BANJO GIRL

MaryM

Surprised that HYC doesn't put up a link to thier open regetta registration on the GBCA forum like LYC does.  Certainly would help HYC get the word out.

JayZ

There is a link from the calender page though.
Jay Zittrer
s/v BANJO GIRL

Chris P

We'll come out and play in the non-spin distance.

Frank Tamborello

From the point of view of a symmetrical spinnaker boat, what's supposed to be the difference between the "PHRF Sym" and "PHRF Spinnaker Distance" fleets, just longer courses?

ChrisK

Try this:
http://www.houstonyachtclub.com/raceregatta.html

In Regatta Networks, you have to scroll to the near bottom and find the event. RN doesn't make it as easy as it could be.

Of course, all the yacht clubs, sailing clubs, one design classes, etc. are welcome to post NOR/various Galveston Bay racing news here...
No, you don't have to be a GBCA member to post...but just in case you do want to be part of the coolest racing club around click here  8)
Past Commodore, 2010

sailfastliveslow

Well I see couple more registered.  Let's keep chatting it up, more and more.

Christopher

Quote from: Frank Tamborello on November 04, 2010, 10:39:05 AM
From the point of view of a symmetrical spinnaker boat, what's supposed to be the difference between the "PHRF Sym" and "PHRF Spinnaker Distance" fleets, just longer courses?

"PHRF Spinnaker Distance" = distance race around fixed gov't marks; regardless of sym/asym; typically 1 race per day
"PHRF Sym" = W/L buoy races; Sym spin only; typically more races, shorter distance; total race distance might work out to be same as distance race.
"PHRF Asym" = W/L buoy races; Asym spin only...
Mahalo nui loa

marc

Is it really necesary to split the Sym & Asym fleets? That B25 vs the J80's could be interesting.

sailfastliveslow

Exactly.  This week the B25 is racing in a PHRF Spin fleet at Canyon that has at least 4 Asym boats: 105, 92, M24, and U20.

Bee

Looks like an exciting bunch in the spinn class.  The 105 is Aftershock.  They will have to hope the wind Gods are favorable. 

Wish I could go.

STuma

Quote from: marc on November 04, 2010, 09:00:46 PM
Is it really necesary to split the Sym & Asym fleets? That B25 vs the J80's could be interesting.

Splitting the Asym & Sym is  nice thought, if we have over 100 boats racing, but it really isn't practical.  It should be some good racing either way.  I think the Olympic Cirlce should make a come-back.

cheers...
Scott

JayZ

Between my Alden Caravelle -Banjo Girl, my old stead x-Shared Watch now Harmonious Rapport the Alberg 37 and the Cape George 36 -Bay Girl we have the beginning of a great classic class in the N.S. Distance.  -I can't remember the last time there were three full keeled classics in a Regatta on the bay.  ...not counting the Ensign OD class of course.  It would be really cool to see the class splits based on keel design -never happen but still sure would be fun to see about 6 or 7 old full keel CCA era boats out there.

Let's see some more classics come out.  ...where are you Antares?  Danelaw?  not full keelers but still classics.  any other 40 year old boats out there?

Cheers,
JZ
Jay Zittrer
s/v BANJO GIRL

DollFin

Quote from: JayZ on November 11, 2010, 04:59:05 PM
any other 40 year old boats out there?

Cheers,
JZ

Conditions permitting, we might enter the Soling. :)

Work out those sailing knots!
Sea of Tranquility Therapeutic Massage
713 408-0444