2011 GBCA/Galveston Bay Racing Schedule

Started by ChrisK, November 04, 2010, 06:25:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrisK

After 6 revisions and the annual schedule meeting with TCYC HYC & LYC (thanks Jim and Leigh Ann) it is finally 99% complete.

*Drum roll please* Here are the dates for GBCA events coming in 2011
(The complete Galveston Bay calendar will be posted soon below)

NOTE: Dates are subject to change, current as of 11/04/10 11/16/10 12/06/2010

January 8:  Icicle #1
January 15: Icicle #2
January 22: Icicle #3
January 29: Commodore's Ball
February 5: Icicle #4
February 12: Icicle #5
February 26-27: Frostbite
March 19: The Conundrum
March 26: Spring Regatta
April 9th: Women's Regatta
May 14th: Singlehanded Regatta
May 15th: Mixed Doubles Regatta
May 28th: Rum Race #1 / Intro to Sailboat Racing
June 4-8: Race to the Border -Galveston to S.Padre
June 18: Rum Race #2
July 9: Rum Race #3
July 16: Rum Race #4
July 21-23: Texas Race Week
August 13: Rum Race #5
August 20: Rum Race #6
August 27: TCYC/LYC/HYC/GBCA Predicted Log Race
September 10: Rum Race #7
September 24: Rum Race #8
October 1-2: GBCA Performance Cup (Bank) Regatta

24 GBCA events and this list doesn't include the other clubs...  

Unlike the other guys, we don't have a paid staff. GBCA is all volunteer!
Everything from race committee boats, event food/snackums, promotion/newletter/media relations, merchadise sales, membership, securing sponsorship, entertainment, website/discussion board technology, opening prep and shutdown of the clubhouse, ice runs, trash hauls, vacuum cleaner use/repair, cleanup and care of RC gear, regatta NOR/scoring results/trophies, club handicapping, money management, rum/mixer management, kegerator care and feeding... The list goes on!

My point is this: all of these great events don't run by themselves, why not make 2011 a year to volunteer?
I promise, it's alot of fun to give a little back  ;D
Past Commodore, 2010

Frank Tamborello

I've had enough fun with GBCA to compel me to join and I definitely want to volunteer. How does that work? Do you simply email requests for volunteers to the members as each event comes up?

Jim Powers

Frank,
Thanks for the offer to help.The club is run by volunteers, as Chris said, and there is always something to do. When you fill out the membership app, you will see various activities listed: race committee, newsletter, etc. Check one or all that interest you. Or, you can call any of the Board members if you have some time to help out.

In January there are Icicle races on the 8th, 15th and 22nd that need volunteers to provision and set up for the after race party and clean up after the party. The Commodore's Ball on the 29th needs volunteers to cart booze and other essentials to the site, set up tables and decorations and clean up after the party. And that's just January!
Thanks again, see you soon.

Jim

ChrisK

Here's the full 2011 Galveston Bay Racing schedule:

NOTE: Dates are subject to change, current as of 11/16/10 12/06/2010

January 1: HYC RevognahH
January 8:  Icicle #1
January 15: Icicle #2
January 22: Icicle #3
January 29: Commodore's Ball
February 5: Icicle #4
February 12: Icicle #5
February 19-20: HYC Midwinters
February 26-27: GBCA Frostbite
March 5: LYC Bay Cup I
March 19: The Conundrum
March 26: GBCA Spring Regatta
April 2-3: HYC Elissa Regatta
April 9: GBCA Women's Regatta
April 16: LYC Heald Bank
April 30: HYC Offshore
May 14: Singlehanded Regatta
May 15: Mixed Doubles Regatta
May 21-22: LYC Shoe Regatta
May 28: Rum Race #1 / Intro to Sailboat Racing
June 4-8: Race to the Border (Galveston to S. Padre)
June 18: Rum Race #2
June 25-26: HYC Leukemia Cup
July 9: Rum Race #3
July 16: Rum Race #4
July 21-23: GBCA Texas Race Week at Galveston
July 30-31: HYC Women?s Regatta
August 6: LYC Bay Cup II
August 13: Rum Race #5
August 20: Rum Race #6
August 27: TCYC/LYC/HYC/GBCA Predicted Log Race
September 10: Rum Race #7
September 17-18: HYC One Design/Consul Regatta
September 24: Rum Race #8
October 1-2: GBCA Performance Cup (Bank) Regatta
October 13-15: LYC Harvest Moon
October 22-23: Challenge Cup
October 29-30: LYC J Fest Regatta
November 19-20: HYC Turkey Day
Past Commodore, 2010

STuma

Thank you (everyone that has worked on it) for the schedule BEFORE the holidays... it is a very impressive task!  On a personal note, this helps me schedule what events I will be able to do seriously & which I have the kids on.  

I am also impressed with Mr. Frank's interest in volunteering, it says a lot about the organization.  Thinking about his question, would it be possible to have a designated area (during the Icicle socials) for new comers, or seasoned GBCA-ers, to volunteer and sign up for activities?  With the idea that the PRO of the event, can get a head count for the assistance needed ahead of time.  Or an area on the web site where "logged in members" can view a listing of the R/C staff for a particular event and sign up for particular positions?  

Just some ideas, that may not even work how thought of.

cheers...
Scott
cheers...
Scott

ChrisK

Added January 1st HYC RevognahH Regatta event to the above list.

btw: RevognahH is hangover spelled backward ;)  
Past Commodore, 2010

Bee

I always spell that revognaH.  That cap at the end says it all.

It usually is a fun race.  The first time I ever did it was on Vic Forsyth's Chili with Sauce.  I had just move from OK and at 62 degrees on Jan 1 I thought I was in heaven --- then the summer came and I knew I was really in HELL.

Frank Tamborello

Quote from: Bee on November 16, 2010, 03:52:26 PM

Agreed. It's a good cue to the reader to read backwards. That's just good human factors.

I had just move from OK and at 62 degrees on Jan 1 I thought I was in heaven --- then the summer came and I knew I was really in HELL.

It's only hell if you're not sailing, Bee. Just think about all the poor bastards up north who can't sail at this time of year because the WATER'S TURNED FROM LIQUID TO SOLID. That's what I call hell frozen over. (:

Bee

Quote from: Frank Tamborello on November 18, 2010, 11:54:01 AM

Agreed. It's a good cue to the reader to read backwards. That's just good human factors.

I had just move from OK and at 62 degrees on Jan 1 I thought I was in heaven --- then the summer came and I knew I was really in HELL.

It's only hell if you're not sailing, Bee. Just think about all the poor bastards up north who can't sail at this time of year because the WATER'S TURNED FROM LIQUID TO SOLID. That's what I call hell frozen over. (:

Actually I do agree, I was born here in the sunny Southern half of Texas.  Nevertheless, I still like four seasons and an occasional 6-10 inches of the white stuff.

Christopher

Every month has 3 or more weekends/events - except November and December.  Why nothing in December?
Just curious.
Mahalo nui loa

Leigh Ann

Gives the race committee and volunteers a much needed break  :)

But mostly because December is such a busy month with all of the holiday stuff.

Bee

Actually with as much as Stinger races, the old phart needed the rest as well.

ChrisK

A couple of other 2011 dates of interest.
As usual, no guarantee on the accuracy of the dates as of 12/3 12/06:
Of course, other clubs are welcome to post more details!

1/14-17 HYC ISAF Youth World Qualifier (Laser, 420, 29er, RS:X, multihull)
3/11-13  TCYC Finn North Americans
3/26-27 TCYC Texas Shoot-out Team Racing
4/16-17 HYC ILCA Texas District Championship (Lightning)
5/11-21  Melges 24 World Championship (Corpus)
6/18-24 LYC Daysailor North Americans
7/9-15 Texas Youth Race Week
9/28-10/2 HYC US Team Racing
10/8-9 TCYC Texas Team Championship
10/15-16 HYC V-15 Nationals

For those wondering news of the one-design J24, J22, Viper 640 stops usually trickle down after the holidays.
Past Commodore, 2010

ChrisK

Minor updates from HYC as of 12/06 (I've modified earlier posts to reflect the changes):

Changed: HYC Consuls Regatta is 9/17 to go with their One Design event, weekend of 9/16-17
Added: ILCA Texas District Championship (Lightnings) 4/16-17
Past Commodore, 2010

Jonsey

Chris, thanks for putting this together!   

Our circuit schedule probably wont be finalized until after the first of the year, as you mentioned.  Several clubs are slow in publishing their regatta schedule and since we piggy-back on major events around the state we have to wait.

There will be at least two major viper event's on the bay next year, and a good chance that a OD class will form at most major regatta's in Galveston once a flurry of new boat's get delivered to the state in the spring.

I'm personally hoping to get down for some of those Wednesday Night series races i've heard so much about.   

Good job down there Chris, keep it going!