GBCA Single Handed/Mixed Doubles Regatta

Started by Jim Powers, July 29, 2009, 10:58:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Powers

Charles

Moi Verstehe Nada,
Char-les

JayZ

I did a quick look at the NOR but would like clarification from the RC if possible. 

I'd like to do the mixed doubles and take along my two rig monkeys ages 6 and 8.  They will most likely make the boat go slower not faster so certainly not an advantage.

Can I get a ruling?  Either way I'll try to show up.

Thanks,

Jay Zittrer
s/v BANJO GIRL

Jonsey

I have a quick question - is this being run as two different events (single handed on Sat and double on Sunday?)

KevinBednar

Quote from: Jonsey on July 29, 2009, 11:20:53 PM
I have a quick question - is this being run as two different events (single handed on Sat and double on Sunday?)

Yup, two separate races with one awards ceremony after the race on Sunday.

beverly

Quote from: JZ on July 29, 2009, 10:44:40 PM
I'd like to do the mixed doubles and take along my two rig monkeys ages 6 and 8.  They will most likely make the boat go slower not faster so certainly not an advantage.

JZ, I'm sure Walter would have the same sentiment about ME, which is why I beat him to the punch and signed up as the Skipper.  I don't have a problem with you bringing your precious offspring along.  They're old enough to learn how to talk like a sailor! 

And for the life of me, I don't know why they call this the Divorce Cup - Walter always says Honey/Dear/Baby/Darling before he yells "What the ____ are you doing?!!!"

Jim Powers

Quote from: JZ on July 29, 2009, 10:44:40 PM
I did a quick look at the NOR but would like clarification from the RC if possible. 

Can I get a ruling?  Either way I'll try to show up.

Thanks,

Jay,
The NOR for the Mixed limits the total crew to one male and one female and I'm not going to make any exceptions. If you want to bring more of the family along, the Rum Races are ideal for that, but the Mixed Doubles is not. I hope to see you out on the water.

Jim Powers
Fleet Captain/PRO

JayZ

Does that count if they are hidden down below and noone sees them? 

-alright I got it and respect it no exceptions.  Hope to make it out anyway - we'll see.

Jay Zittrer
s/v BANJO GIRL

STuma

Jay,  I understand the issue... I have no problem if they were on board... but, I think there should be a provision for kids under "x" age... We should encourage kids to be on the water... if they don't count as crew for PHRF, then???
cheers...
Scott

ChrisK

Unlike a rum race, or casual sail on the bay, I think the single handed skipper trying to race up to three races, windward-leeward with 1-1.5 mile legs has more than enough to worry about, without the kids.  Looking back at some (ok, many) of the stupid human tricks I've done in this particular race and the resultant failures trying to jibe the spin pole racing single-spinnaker (well documented with pictures from the ever present-blood monger spectator fleet), it doesn't seem like a good idea to have the kiddos around when things go really wrong, as they most certainly will.
Besides, it's best to scare the crap out of just one person at a time onboard. My two cents.
Past Commodore, 2010

STuma

Shouldn't that be the decision of the parent/skipper?  Sounds like government telling us what is best for us... I am sure Jay, or someone else that sails with their kids, are already sailing single handed with kids on the boat... there are many times I have taken people out, they knew nothing, and sailed the boat single handed... If things are being expected to be a disaster, should they be going out? 

cheers...
Scott
cheers...
Scott

Charles

Quote from: STuma on August 02, 2009, 11:41:12 PM
Shouldn't that be the decision of the parent/skipper?  Sounds like government telling us what is best for us... I am sure Jay, or someone else that sails with their kids, are already sailing single handed with kids on the boat... there are many times I have taken people out, they knew nothing, and sailed the boat single handed... If things are being expected to be a disaster, should they be going out? 

cheers...
Scott

Unlike some governmental situations, the GBCA is not forcing or coercing you to participate in the event. Maybe we can come up with a "single handed with moving ballast" race. Then think of the possibilities for the mixed double race! ;D
Moi Verstehe Nada,
Char-les

STuma

Very true....

which brings another topic: why do we chose to sail but, make it someone elses responsibility to telll us not to?  I am thinking of when the weather gets bad... 
cheers...
Scott

Eric713

Hi Guys.  I understand there is a trophy presentation on Sunday after the mixed race.  Is there a party Sat. nite after the race?

Charles

Quote from: Eric713 on August 03, 2009, 05:17:49 PM
Hi Guys.  I understand there is a trophy presentation on Sunday after the mixed race.  Is there a party Sat. nite after the race?

I hope so!!!
Moi Verstehe Nada,
Char-les