2012 Rum Race Series

Started by Christopher, May 11, 2012, 09:16:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DollFin

Hi gang!  I understand there was a little bit of confusion over Blind Ambition as some racers were confused by our start time, and no one scored us at the finish. To clear things up, although we are a J24, we race non-spin (we do have a black flag clearly displayed off of our transom). Also, we are only sailing with a class jib (what they will be using in the Blind Worlds that we are training for) so our non-spin rating is a little tweaked so even if another J24 is racing non-spin, we are probably still starting a little ahead of them. Hope this clears things up. Thanks!  8)  Karen

Work out those sailing knots!
Sea of Tranquility Therapeutic Massage
713 408-0444

Sailaway

Got the finishes loaded and working on the starts.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lacyphotos/sets

All photos where taken by Scott and I was just a slug out watching a great race  ;D !

mv Tramp
sv Flying Kiss

gwittich

Figaro finished at 8:01:18
Gerhard Wittich/sv Figaro

John Swanson

Athena struggled across at 8:21pm.

Eric713

A nice Rum #4. Not very hot, and good pizza.  Looking forward to Rum 5 this weekend..Thanks to the Lacy bros. for "tramping" around the starting line to take the great photos..

Jeff K

Who wasn't on the vang?

Deckhand

Rum Race #5 this weekend and John Mather & I will be cooking dogs and fixin's for the after race party. This is the last chance for practice before Texas Race Week. Looks like a nice weekend setting up. Come on out and share some rum and tall tales.
Scott Lacy
Volunteer Cordinator
GBCA Commodore 2014

ShakenNotStirred

Bring some extra cash or checkbook to the rum race party Saturday.  We will be selling:

• Texas Race Week event passes $25
  • Texas Race Week t-shirts (if there are any left after the skipper's meeting) $20
  • The NEW GBCA caps and visors (very nice!) $20
2013 Commodore

Christopher

Rum Race 5 results:

Spin:
1. Pingo
2. Mojo(24)
3. Hamburg
4. Leading Edge
5. Skank

Non-spin:
1. Madison's Life
2. Blind Ambition
3. Tenacious
4. Whistler
5. Otra Mundo

SOS:
1. Orion
2. Selah
3. Mental Floss

Cruising:
1. Shaken not Stirred
2. Amore
3. Skalawag
4. Zippidy Do Da
5. Lil Bit O Sol

Series results updated through race 5: Linky

Next race is Aug. 4th.
Mahalo nui loa

John Swanson

Athena, Rum Race 5 time: 8:33pm. Our times are not improving, but at least we keep learning new tricks. One of these days we'll pull them all together.

Christopher

Rum Race 6 results:

Spin:
1. Mojo(24)
2. French Connection
3. Gambler
4. Pingo
5.Airborne

Non-spin:
1. Tenscious
2. Madison's Life
3. Big D
4. Be Easy

SOS:
1. Mental Floss
2. Good News
3. Selah

Cruising:
1. Longshot
2. Wandering Star
3. Katana
4. Figaro
5. Stellar of Course

Series results updated through race 6: Linky

Next race is Aug. 18th.

A couple of reminders from the SI's, because there is no Race Committee on the course:

1)
The races are governed by the Racing Rules of Sailing 2009-2012, with the following exceptions: NO LUFFING IS ALLOWED.  Luffing shall be defined as changing course to windward after another boat has approached within two boat lengths from any direction. A boat passing to windward or leeward must maintain at least two boat lengths to either side until no overlap exists.

2)
IX. Finishing
The first yacht in each class to cross the finish line will be the winner of the class and be required to record the next 4 places in her class by legibly recording the boat name and or sail numbers. The finishing information then must be presented to the race chairman at the social event following the race. Remember, to score a first place, a yacht must both cross the finish line first and record the next four finishers.
GBCA Club Handicap: The first yacht in the GBCA Club Handicap class to cross the finish line will be the winner of the class and be required to record the next 4 places by recording the boat name and or sail numbers. The winning yacht shall also record the finish time for the next 4 places. Each yacht finishing shall record their finish time and report it to Kevin Box by private message/posting on the discussion forum.
The race ends at 21:00. Any boat that has not finished by this time will not be scored.
Mahalo nui loa

Deckhand

Tramp was out yesterday with Kelly Dees, my lovely wife Becky and myself. Becky and I took pictures of another fine Rum Race on the bay. I did not manage the 4 gig card very well and ran out of space at the end of the race (Champagne Impaired). The pictures can be found on John's Flicker account; http://www.flickr.com/photos/lacyphotos/sets/72157630918013846/ . John was a little under the weather. Just a reminder that there are two Rum Races left and it would be great practice for the women to take the helm and get ready for GBCA's Women Regatta on September 15th. Let the women yell for a change! :-*
GBCA Commodore 2014

mauigold

Scott and Becky,

Thanks so much for another wonderful day on the water. 
Kelley

Terry Young

Great food, and a lot fun people. Great photos, just wish I had a photo of Wondering Star and I at the finish, it would look great on my man cave wall.  Almost caught them, great looking kite WS. Sailing does not get much better than this, many thanks to all that make it happen! ?KATANA?

John Swanson

Athena did a bit better on Rum Race #6, coming in at 8:12pm.