2014 Icicle Series

Started by Christopher, December 01, 2013, 07:11:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deckhand

The first Icicle Race is this weekend!! With the passing of our friend and fellow sailor Jim Wells, we will rename the first Icicle Race of 2014, the "Jim Wells Celebration Icicle Race". After listening to Jim's Priest at the Rosary last evening, I took away that Jim did not want anyone to mourn his passing. He had a great life, a wonderful family, many friends and he fought the good fight! Let us all put on our best "Corinthian Spirit" then race hard and Honest. After the race, come to the GBCA Clubhouse, have some chili, a good time, and a toast to Jim Wells Vice-Commodore GBCA.
  Another friend of GBCA also passed this month. While looking up Jim's obituary, I came across Roy Weeks who had passed. Roy was a Commodore of GBCA in 1994. Many knew Roy as "Capt. Roy" who taught many of us to be Captains in spirit and by the books.
 Jim and Roy volunteered many hours in making GBCA what it is today. Let's all follow in their "wake" and make this club even better!
Commodore Scotty
Volunteer, Participate, Support
GBCA Commodore 2014

Terry Young

I just heard about the lost of our good friend Jim Wells as well, we both raced in the Wednesday Races on Clearlake, for many years, he always was helpful to us all and always kept you smiling. He crewed for me(KATANA) in the 2010 Rum Races and the 2010 Harvest Moon Race(see photo) and helped us win a second place trophy, that was a race you just felt lucky to finish, but with Jims help we made it. We had some great talks together on that race, he will be greatly missed, but suffers no longer.

I would like to suggest that we all fly(the higher the better) our American flags on the first Icicle race in memory of Jim! I think most of us have an American flag, just my thoughts pass it on and maybe it will catch on! Terry Young

Deckhand

It looks to be a spectacular day Saturday. I had hoped to have the GBCA Calendars today, but between me ordering late and the weather, they are not in yet. Next weekend for sure. That gives you time to get your Senior Membership current or upgraded. John should be out on Tramp tomorrow getting some pictures to start off the New Year! After the race, come by for Hot Chili and Rum. Let us have a toast to Jim Wells and all our friends who have passed before us. Sail safe!
Scott
GBCA Commodore 2014

ShakenNotStirred

We'll be selling long-sleeve Icicle Series t-shirts at the after-party, Navy or White. Only $20!
If you want one, but can't make it to the party, let me know what size/color and I'll try to set one aside for you.
Walter
2013 Commodore

ChrisK

Thanks again Lacy Bros! A great start to the Icicle Series. 765 great pictures. Some really nice ones of the mark rounding. I bet there were 60 boats out there. The weather was great (64?!). The clubhouse patio was full. I think Jim would have enjoyed every minute of it!
Past Commodore, 2010

Maarten

Great way to start the season. Between the Revognah and Icicle 1 the average would be just good for the rest of the year. Maybe we can improve by using the class flags. We were in doubt from time to time who we were competing against. And who won. As tradition by now: very good pictures representing the race. Fair winds and safe sailing in 2014.

Stellar of Course

Walter;

Set aside a XL Icicle shirt for me. We had some Electrical problems on the boat yesterday and spent all day making repairs. We will be ready for Icicle 2 next week.

Also, Please send me a mailing address so I can mail in my Dues Check. I had planned to drop it off yesterday but were deep into repairs on the boat.

Looks like you guys had a great race, sorry we missed it.

Ron E
Ron_1056@yahoo.com

Deckhand

What a great start to 2014! Just got finished looking at the pics (thanks John) and it looked like a great day on the Bay. Quite a few new boats, Greg's Joyride, Mustang Sally too, and JK3's sweet ride Hanse 415 (buy'n me a lotto ticket) to name a few. The J105 fleet was out in force getting ready for their Mid-Winter Nationals in March. Leopard flying Jim Well's Vice-Commodore Flag at half mast was a great tribute to a great Man. Thanks to all who came out to race and to the party afterwards, what a crowd! Remember... to win the overall Icicle Series, you must be a Senior Member. There are four races left and it is anybody's game. Make sure you fly the appropriate class flag and next week is the "Reverse Course"....Todd ;).
Commodore Scotty
GBCA Commodore 2014

Sailaway

Thanks Chris A. for getting me in the right spots!  The rounding of the low range marker was a sight to see and I'm not sure the pictures told the whole story.  It was something to watch!

Christopher

It sure was great to see 60+ boats turning out for the first icicle run of 2014!  Great weather, wind and apr?s race camaraderie.  Chili must have been great, because it was gone!  Thanks Scotty!

Icicle Race 1 - January 4 results:

Cruising Club:
1. Royal Crescent
2. Other Woman
3. Lil Bit a Sol
4. Figaro
5. Firewater

SOS:
1. Shearwater
2. Mental Floss
3. Selah
4. High Cotton
5. Raptide

Non-Spin:
1. Wildcat
2. Ella Grace
3. Tenacious
4. Joy Ride
5. Big D

Spin Non-Sprit:
1. Baltic Raider
2. Loose Cannon
3. Antares
4. HO Leopard

Spin Sprit:
1. GB
2. Pingo
3. Duck & Dive
4. Whiskey Tango
5. ONO

Series results through the 1st race: Click Here
Mahalo nui loa

gwittich

The Ericson 32, Lil Bit a Sol, Sail number 713, has been correctly scored in the Club Cruising class.
She did not race in the SOS class.

GW
Gerhard Wittich/sv Figaro

Eric713

Sol Air #53 is on page 11 of the photos.  3 crew on board and no flag.  The #713 is Lil Bit A Sol Cruising Class shows 3rd which is correct.  Kinda busy at the finish line. Took last year off,  glad to be back..

gadangit

Quote from: Eric713 on January 05, 2014, 05:39:33 PM
Sol Air #53 is on page 11 of the photos.  3 crew on board and no flag.  The #713 is Lil Bit A Sol Cruising Class shows 3rd which is correct.  Kinda busy at the finish line. Took last year off,  glad to be back..

That was us, sorry, forgot our flag!  We were Spin Non Sprit.  I realized halfway through the second leg and figured we'd tie up a rag if needed.  We fouled the kite on the take down and ran long past the mark while the fleet turned the corner and sailed away from us.  There is always next week!

Chris

Christopher

I have received communication from the owner of ?Sol Air?, an Ericson 39, sail # 53; who claims they were sailing in Spin Non-Sprit class, but admittedly without a white flag, because they ?forgot?.

Scoring is adjusted accordingly: SOS 2nd-5th moves up one place and Rapide who was reported as 6th is now 5th.

Lil Bit a Sol (Ericson 32 #713) is correctly reported in Cruising Club.

This stresses the importance of every boat clearly displaying the proper class flag (white for spinnaker [Sprit and Non-Sprit]; dark for Non-Spinnaker; white over dark for SOS/Shorthand [2 or less crew]; orange for GBCA Cruising Club) and winners taking accurate record of the top five boats.  There is no race committee on the water, so we are relying upon scribbled scraps of paper, lunch bags, receipts, etc.  to make up our winners list.

Thanks
Mahalo nui loa