2014 Icicle Series

Started by Christopher, December 01, 2013, 07:11:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George E Cushing

Bee, yours was on. Very informative to look at the race tracks and the statistics. It would be nice if others started using the program as well,

George E Cushing

And at least according to the race track the J92 got you at the finish.

harris

Bee

good point you bring up

if those classes consistently win a majority of races then maybe phrf  "Performance" handicapping should evaluate their local phrf numbers
thanks for bringing this up

Christopher

It's reported that it was another spectacular day on the bay.  :)  About 50 boats on the bay....75 at the party.

Not in Chicago where I was this weekend, where it was 0 degrees and blowing 20+ knots a painful negative wind chill, snowing and ice covering the lake.   :o

Results of race 4 are:

Spin Sprit
1 Hamburg
2 French Connection
3 Infinity
4 Stinger
5 J-92 George Cushing's boat

Spin Non-Sprit
1 Picante
2 Etchell sail # 1137
3 Silver Bullet
4 Toccata
5 Parrot Tale (lite)

SOS
1 Mental Floss
2 Selah
3 High Cotton
4 Rapide
5 (No Boat seen)

Non-spin
1 Ella Grace
2 Tenacious
3 Wildcat
4 Joan III
5 High Hopes

Cruising Club
1 Skalawag
2 Escape Hatch
3 Firewater
4 Figaro
5 Stellar of Course

Series results through race 4: Click here
Mahalo nui loa

STuma

Anyone is welcome to challenge a boat's PHRF number.  But, they need to present the challenge with facts to the committee and we will review the rating based on facts.  But, it is very difficult to base ratings on results of a pursuit style race. 

Challenging a rating is always a slippery slope; one is basically saying the team is not as fast as the results portray.  Are there some boats that may have a rating that doesn't accurately portray their performance; possibly.  Why do certain boats continually win the non-spinnaker class? Why are many of the top finishers J boats?  How does one "prove" the speed of a PHRF crew? How you race a boat one-design is much different than racing numbers.  Many times a crew that is used to racing PHRF does not do well racing one-design.  This becomes an unfair method of comparison, but how do you measure? 

I think it would be interesting to have the crews switch boats; have the 105's sail the 109's and vise versa.

Quote from: harris on January 26, 2014, 05:00:07 PM
Bee

good point you bring up

if those classes consistently win a majority of races then maybe phrf  "Performance" handicapping should evaluate their local phrf numbers
cheers...
Scott

Bee

Quote from: harris on January 26, 2014, 05:00:07 PM
Bee

good point you bring up

Harris:

Maybe you should learn how to sail your boat up to its rating and then worry about
forcing PHRF changes to other boats.

Maybe you should recognize the fact that your 44.7 was never designed to run an A-kite.

Maybe you should recognize that Goethe, Mather, Uzi and George Cushing are
really good sailors and have really good crew.  I wish I was in their league but the
only reason Stinger does well is directly related to her crew.

This was one of the first races that Ben Miller and the other C22 did not finish first
against all of us.  Are you going to argue for changing the C22 rating.  Ben Miller
is a damn good sailor.  How does that affect his handicap?  I have heard gripping
about this but there are 15,000+ C22's.  I just cannot see changing their handicap
just because one doesn't like it.

Every time Kevin Hayes and Mike McGagh run the M24 Mojo race they finish in
the top five.  These two guys are excellent sailors.  Finishing close to them is
worth the effort all the way.  When Pedro and his crew are in tune Pingo is
another boat that's tough to beat.

The big difference between the J's, M24's, and C22's and the rest of the
fleet is that they frequently sail OD against each other.  What this means is
that they have to tune the boat for optimum performance, make sure that the
sail complement is the best they can buy, and yes, do those things that reduce
weight and optimize through the water perforrmance.  To win OD consistently
one is forced learn the boat really well and tereby become a better sailor.

Vic Forsyth used to say "One starts losing points at the dock."  I translate that to
"Boat prep, Boat prep, Boat prep, you can't do enough of that."

OJ Young will win the HMR (pursuit) almost every time he enters.  That Whitby 42
may be a handicap beater but are you willing to argue that OJ is not a good sailor?
Are you willing to say that its not his boat prep and skills that make this happen?

If you have trouble with your handicap go race in GBCA's orange class and get
El Pollo Rey to change your Cap each race.  Should give you some idea of how
good you actually are.

Eric713

All this.. And its only Monday?

Maarten

Back to some "un-rated" comments. Again a day to be grateful we can be out on the water year round. This time we finally had real icicles. Joan III's crew had a great time though we missed the opportunity to luff our sailmaker. Next time Butch! Sailing a long keel, classic yawl ratings are always important and the surprising thing with the pursuit is that we all do finish so close together.

Waiting for the pictures!

Bee

Well said Maarten.  I am always impressed with how close some of the finishes are but I also see a lot of boats that are still learning, or maybe just having fun.  I am also more and more impressed with what some racers negatively refer to as "curisers."  I now know that many of them are really great guys and great sailors.  Some have more hours on the water then any of us so-called "racers."  One or two have sailed around the world with class.

I'll be the first to admit that PHRF stinks, but it is what it is.  Technology (sprits, carbon fiber, foils, ...) will continue to make rating boats very difficult.  Its the reason IRC, ORC, and the other "new" systems exist. Oh, and BTW, ORC did little to calm the discourse on ratings when Andrea tried it in the HMR's.

Speaking of foiling, up on foils the AC72's were consistently running at something like 2 or maybe on occasion 2.5 times true wind speed.  How should we set a PHRF number for them?  Would we be willing to allow them to race in the multi-hull class?

How 'bout the Moth's.  Would be interesting to give one of those a PHRF rating (any number should do) and let them run one of the pursuit races with us.  I would really love to see that. Any speculation on how close the second place boat would be?

Deckhand

Still at the boat. I will be home tonite and put the pictures on Flickr. Too slow at Seabrook. Next weekend looks to be another fine day. May be a little more wind, but hope no rain. Remember to put on your best "Ascot" for the Judge Smails Regatta. Wait until we get Flying Kiss out there. 8)
Commodore AsScotty
GBCA Commodore 2014

harris

Bee

My boat is set up for IRC and long distance and cruising and I knew that she would never be competitive under PHRF from when we bought her

this is just a point following your observation for the community to ponder - similar to your comments to ponder

enough said

Deckhand

Pictures finally loaded. I kinda got carried away at the end with everyone tacking to make the finish. Quite exciting! Icicle 4 photos at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lacyphotos/sets/72157640241642053/ and all the sets at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lacyphotos/sets/. These are the 30%. If you would like the 100% picture, let me know,
sailsong@swbell.net.
GBCA Commodore 2014

ChrisK

Great pics for #4. Wow! Thanks Lacy Bros!!
We've been pretty fortunate this year with the weather!
Past Commodore, 2010

Trink

Thanks for the great pictures!
S/V Toccata

JayZ

Jay Zittrer
s/v BANJO GIRL